Cheap fly sparge DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. Very simple. Any concern about running hot water through it?

Hmmm, I wonder if my wife has a large stainless dog feeding bowl taking up space in a cabinet someplace!

Go to Smart and Final they have LARGE SS bowls for like 10 bucks and when I say large it is big enough to act as a lid for a keggle. I my do something like that with mine i use for popping corn. I don't do popcorn much anymore

Go to Smart and Final they have LARGE SS bowls for like 10 bucks and when I say large it is big enough to act as a lid for a keggle. I my do something like that with mine i use for popping corn. I don't do popcorn much anymore

Actually, I did find one just like that. We used to have large dogs, but they passed and now we have small dogs. Don't have any use for the large bowls, except for miscellaneous beer DIY projects! :)

That works. I use a 1/4 keg for a water bowl for my dog. 18 month Saint he weighs in at around 160 right now. He is expected to be about 200+ when full grown. He would not hurt anyone unless it was an accident as he ran buy playing

I would think putting the bolts on the colander would be the way to go. Post back and let us know how it works with the hot water. I do something similar, but with a Tupperware lid.

Phyrst said:
Very cool. Very simple. Any concern about running hot water through it?

I ran 3 gallons of 190F water thru it and no warping or anything abnormal.

I've been thinking of a different way to fly sparge. Cool idea, I'm going to try it on one of my next brews.

we did the same thing with a Stainless Steel bowl we got at a restaurant supply shop. Drilled some holes and $3 latter we have the same thing.

best part, it fits perfectly over the top of the homedepot cooler. the lip sits right on it.

Back