how much water to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got two brews done and deliciously gone now. This is absolutely the best hobby ever. I saw in the recipes section Yoopers clone of dead guy ale, and I decided to give it a go given that it's one of my favorite beers. I've got all the ingredients here for the extract version, and I'm now wondering how much water I should use. My first two beers were brewers best belgian tripel and brewers best robust porter. I used 2.5 gallons and added another 3 gallons or so after transferring the wort to my fermenter to get it up to 5 total. I'm concerned that I'm going to wind up with something too thick to transfer effectively if I use 2.5 gallons. I've got a 5 gallon brewpot, but I'm brewing on my stovetop which takes a very long time to boil just 2.5 gallons. Should I up it to 3 or even more or just use 2.5?

Hmm, so more is better here. Good to know. Thank you :)

I'll give it a go with 3 or 3.5 gallons instead. It'll take ages to boil a full 5 gallons on my stove.

Back