Brewing Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnp121584

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am brewing my first beer and choose to brew Pliny the Elder. I am currently in the process of fermenting and have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

1. I am going to add my dry hops at the 2 week mark. When I do this am I stirring them in or do I just dump them in and leave them?

2. How long do I wait after I add the dry hops before I transfer to my bottling bucket?

3. Does .75 cups of priming sugar sound right to add for a 5 gallon batch? Do I want to add the sugar to the bucket before I siphon or after?

4. How long do I leave the wort in the bottling bucket? When do I know when to start bottling?

5. How long do I leave in the bottles before I can taste?

Thanks for the help.

1/2 - if it's a 2 week dry hop addition you leave it in for 2 weeks, although some pliny recipes had 2 dry hop additions that i recall, 1 for 2 weeks and 1 for 1 week (add after 1st round has been in for 1 week) - you want to make sure that fermentation is completely done or the co2 will drive off the hop aroma. no need to mix them in, you want to be careful stirring/agitating etc, you don't want to add any oxygen after fermentation is going/finished

3 - boil the sugar with a couple cups of water for about 15min - pour it in the bottom of the bottling bucket and carefully rack/siphon on top

4 - you can start bottling as soon as the racking is done (all beer from fermenter is in bottling bucket)

5 - you can try tasting one after 1 week to see how it is but generally expect 2-3 weeks minimum before the beer is fully carbonated - even after that it will continue to get better after it's been in the bottle, although eventually hop flavor/aroma will begin to fade

The recipe I followed says to add one dry hop addition 12-14 days before bottling and then add the second dry hop addition 5 days before bottling.

So I went to dry hop today and open the bucket for the first time and there were still hop leaves covering the surface layer (pretty thick layer). It's been 2 weeks, shouldn't these have sunk to the bottom by now? I added my hop pellets anyways. Should I be concerned? If they are still there in 2 weeks do I strain them out before transferring to a bottling bucket?

Whole leaf hops don't sink, so don't worry about that. As far as straining them, the tip on the end of your racking cane will filter out the whole leafs. As for the pellets, they will become powder and sink, your racking cane won't filter those out, so be careful how far you put the cane down into the fermenter.

Back