Getting Kegerator Kit - Advice on kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbudtwo

Reaction score
So I am now switching to kegging (finally) and I am quite happy about it. But I have not been able to find any detailed instructions on the process. From what I gather there is not much difference between bottling other than you are filling a very large bottle that you need to apply a little pressure to in order to have it seal.

The process I am planning to follow is this:
1. Clean / Sanitize keg with starsan
2. Fill
3. Close it and pressurize, then begin to carb.
And that's all there is to it?

It sounds stupid simple and I assume it is, I just don't want to be missing some crucial bit of minutia and screw something up.

Purge O2.

After you fill the keg and close it, the air on top of the beer is Oxygen. Co2 is heavier than O2. So after you close the keg, you want to 'seal' it by giving it 7-10 psi. I wait a minute and then release this pressure with the valve on the keg. Repeat.

This will force the O2 out. Set it to 12 psi and put it in the keezer to carb. Test after 1 week.

Purge O2.

After you fill the keg and close it, the air on top of the beer is Oxygen. Co2 is heavier than O2. So after you close the keg, you want to 'seal' it by giving it 7-10 psi. I wait a minute and then release this pressure with the valve on the keg. Repeat.

This will force the O2 out. Set it to 12 psi and put it in the keezer to carb. Test after 1 week.

Okay, will do.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back