berliner weisse dregs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bensiff

Reaction score
I just picked up a bottle of 1809 Berliner Weisse brewed by Prof. Fritz Briem. I noticed it had a good bit of sediment on the bottom. Any thoughts on whether or not this would provide a nice Berliner weisse culture?

The problem is that lactobacillus needs a head start to get ahead of the yeast. If it is both in the dregs, you'll never get it to come out sour enough.

The problem is that lactobacillus needs a head start to get ahead of the yeast. If it is both in the dregs, you'll never get it to come out sour enough.

Gotcha. I have some Wyeast lacto on its way and I've read that it can be pretty mild so maybe I will pitch that ahead of time and then pitch the dregs with the sacc a few days later and hope it adds complexity.

I highly suggest adding the dregs of JP calabaza blanca, it alone will make a very nice b weiss

I would, but haven't been able to find JP in my area

Back