Historical Beer: Kentucky Common "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, just tasted this version of the beer and it is great!! Just the right note of spicy from the rye, light from the corn, and still reminiscent of a sour mash whiskey. Will brew this one again. The Cry Havoc yeast works well with this beer.:ban:

Well, we tasted this one again. Still like it but the family consensus is that the American Ale yeast gives a little bit more tang that made this beer a favorite right off the bat.:rockin:

So here's a question. I made this on Saturday, and I've never had US-05 rip like this. It filled 2.5 gallons of headspace with foam and spooged yeast out the airlock. I'm not at all worried, but is it the amount of adjuncts? Or just that no fermentation is exactly the same and this just happened to be the one that roared? In my experience, US-05 typically just kind of plods through, nothing to crazy.

Thanks, I'm relaxed! I was only mildly curious if it had something to do with the corn and rye since they're not something I typically use.

I've been experimenting with US-05 lately and though most fermentations are rather typical and easy going, every once in a while I get one that does something weird.

Just popped one after 2 weeks in the bottle and it is awesome. Light, clean, a little spicy from the rye. Could drink a ton of these. I used Bry-97 and worked great. Thanks for the recipe.

I brewed this a few days ago. Probably one of the best pre-fermented wort samples I've tasted. Really excited.

I used US-05, pitched at ~70f and it cooled to ~62 overnight in an ice bath, started fermenting ~12-18 hours after pitch and it has had a slight/thin krausen for a few days now.

Put mine into 2 tap-a-draft mini kegs last night after about 10 days of "lagering" at 35. One is in the brew closet naturally carbing and the other is in the fridge force carbing. Hoping to be able to sample by the end of the week, but it certainly looked and smelled good going in, but I held off from sneaking a taste.

The first batch I made (with only 1.040 OG) is still in the lagering fridge at 35 for a few more weeks.

I don't see it on the original post, what have people been fermenting this at? I use US 05 a lot and have noticed some pretty significant taste changes at different temps...thanks

I don't see it on the original post, what have people been fermenting this at? I use US 05 a lot and have noticed some pretty significant taste changes at different temps...thanks

I'm just carbing this up now. I fermented at 60F using PacMan. I primaried for 1 month.

The pre-carb'd beer tasted pretty good. The corn is defnitely there. The rye was perceivable, but not as strong as I thought it would be.

I'm still waiting to taste the final product.

Yeah, I've given up US 05 for that reason.... The last batch of this, fermented in what with other yeast would be the optimal temp (the low 60's) took on a stone fruit taste.

It's pretty much why I've given up on what used to be my goto yeast. I've been playing around with BRY97 as my main strain. But I haven't done it on this beer yet.

Hmmm ok, I got mine fermenting at 64f so I may start to increase it to 66 or even 68 in a few days. I've never had a beer ferment like this, its been almost a week in primary and the krausen is continuing to get bigger and bigger, and there are huge chunks of what I assume is either clumped yeast or some sort of clumped break material that are flying around the fermentor at the size and speed of a goldfish swimming. Its crazy in there right now.

Hmmm ok, I got mine fermenting at 64f so I may start to increase it to 66 or even 68 in a few days. I've never had a beer ferment like this, its been almost a week in primary and the krausen is continuing to get bigger and bigger, and there are huge chunks of what I assume is either clumped yeast or some sort of clumped break material that are flying around the fermentor at the size and speed of a goldfish swimming. Its crazy in there right now.

I had a pretty strong fermentation as well, even at 60F. I was surprised since this is a lower ABV beer.

I assumed maybe the corn had something to do with it. Ive never used corn before.

Would this be a good beer to bring to a pig roast? I'm going to one in about 5 weeks and I am debating whether to bring this brew or brew something else that may go better with roast.

Any other suggestions for recipes that go well with a pig roast?

Would this be a good beer to bring to a pig roast? I'm going to one in about 5 weeks and I am debating whether to bring this brew or brew something else that may go better with roast.

Any other suggestions for recipes that go well with a pig roast?
From the small sample I've had, I would say yes. It's light and crisp, but still has a good flavor that won't get in the way of the roast.

Other than that, a rauchbier would be good, but not sure if you'd have enough time to brew, ferment, lager, and carb in 5 weeks. Or you could look for an ale recipe that uses smoked malt.

Yeah, me too, as I noted a couple weeks ago in a post on this thread. The last 2 times I've used US-05 (this beer, and the beer I made a week ago), it's produced a lot more "explosive" fermentation. I haven't changed anything I've been doing, so I'm not sure what gives. The proof will be in the pudding (when I taste it), but it's definitely got me curious.

I finally got a chance to drink some of this yesterday. It was very good. A lot different than the pre-kegged version I tried.

I made it with PacMan and I'd definitley use it again for this beer. I had my fermenter set to 58. The final product is very clean. It has a nice malty/corny sweetness and the rye flavor is a little stronger now. The hops work really well. There's just a hint of bitterness. I drank it a little warm (~50F), which really seems to bring out the flavors.

Just out of curiosity, how many people were able to control themselves and leave this in primary for 30 days? Its tough...

Just out of curiosity, how many people were able to control themselves and leave this in primary for 30 days? Its tough...
The first time I brewed it, i left it in primary for 30 days. Then ~ 10 days to carbonate it. The first taste told me that i had hit a home run with this beer.:ban:

Second batch, I moved it to secondary after two weeks because I needed the primary fermenter for an IPA I brewed. The 2nd batch was done with a different yeast and it was also very good but not quite as good as the 1st batch. I will be going back to the original yeast, Wyeast 1272, American Ale II, when I make my next batch in a couple of months.:)

I was able to control myself and keg it when it was ready to be kegged (about 2 weeks after brewing).

Just tasted and measured gravity for the first time last night. Taste is amazing. Gravity is 1.020 after 2 weeks though....and my original gravity was 1.046 so I am extremely surprised at how slow this is fermenting...its been at a steady 62-64, so I just raised the temp to 65 and will measure again in a few days, but I've never had US 05 work so slowly. I will also make sure to verify the hydrometer is accurate by measuring some water.

Would this beer fit in 10b or 10c under BJCP or where in the Guidelines ??

Because of the rye and the corn, this beer does not fit either of those two categories. It also does not fit in category 6d because of the corn and the dark malt (black patent in the original recipe). I would enter this beer in Category 23, Specialty Beers.:mug:

i am brewing this tonight and am using 2.5 lbs of 2 row and 3 lbs of dme to make up for the other 2 lbs. will this work?????and i am using galena hops. would using the whole oz be a bad idea. thanks

i am brewing this tonight and am using 2.5 lbs of 2 row and 3 lbs of dme to make up for the other 2 lbs. will this work?????and i am using galena hops. would using the whole oz be a bad idea. thanks

3lbs of DME is closer to the equivalent of 5lbs of malt, but really it depends on your efficiency. I would use a recipe calculator. BeerSmith, which costs money but has a free trial, or any of the free online calculators should suit you well.

For the second question, it depends on the AA% of the hops you have, but using the whole oz would probably make your beer FAR too bitter. The original recipe calls for only about 6 AAU (AA%, expressed as a whole number, times oz of hops) and an oz of Galena is probably in the 12-14 AAU range. Again, a recipe calculator is your friend, but you'd probably only end up using about 0.4-0.5oz of Galena for this recipe. And yes, Galena would be a suitable substitute for Cluster.

Just got the Austin Homebrew newsletter for this week and it had this listed–

WLP050 White Labs Tennessee Whiskey Yeast

Suitable for American-style whiskey and bourbon. This yeast is famous for creating rich, smooth flavors. Clean and dry fermenting yeast. Will tolerate high alcohol concentrations (15%), and ester production is low. Also popular in high-gravity beers.

Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 75-79 F (24-26 C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 15%

Might be an interesting experiment for this beer given its "reverse bourbon" grain bill. I may give it a shot if I find this yeast at my LHBS some time soon.

Has anyone ever added bourbon/whiskey and/or some oak chips to this? I may siphon off a gallon to experiment and just wondering if anyone has experience with amounts of chips and whiskey.

Tried this one last week. Screwed up and add 2 lb. of the stuff that was supposed to be 2 oz. now I will be adding knob hill soaked oak. Guess next time I better pay attention to what I am doing!!

Tried this one last week. Screwed up and add 2 lb. of the stuff that was supposed to be 2 oz. now I will be adding knob hill soaked oak. Guess next time I better pay attention to what I am doing!!
2lbs of each or 2lbs total? Either way, that's probably going to be borderline undrinkable.

2lb black &2lb crystal. Wort tasted ok. Going to add oak and bourbon after couple weeks in prime. Then let it age for some time. Hoping it turns out. Going to try again next week but follow recipe with more attention to detail

Latest posts

Back