new with a keg Q.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpooky

Reaction score
Hi, Iv been looking around here for a while and have a question about a keg.
First off, im in the process of building a single tier stand.
WP_000973_zps78393453.jpg

OK, I got a deal on a keg, but the catch was,, it had been in a fire. In this pic, the bottom half is what it looked like. I had started cleaning the top half.
WP_000983_zpsab42a8f6.jpg

So after I cleaned the whole thing, I noticed that the ball valve seemed loose, but the retention spring was still intact. After I opened it, there was a chemical smell to it, and when I dumped what little liquid was in it, the liquid looked black(ish) and there was some debrie in it. After I cut my hole in the top and washed it out, I saw this....
WP_000989_zps1813208d.jpg

WP_000992_zpsaeb342ae.jpg

Can the inside of the keg be burnt out? Should I not use it?
thanks
Jason

Its probably ok, really. I wpuld get some "Bar keepers Friend". They have it at target and it is for cleaning stainless. Its pretty amazing stuff. Just make sure to not let it sit for long. I get a green scotch pad wet, dump a pile of the BKF on.tgr pad and scrub for about 30 seconds, then rinse off. The stuff is only a few bucks and it will likely work.

P.S. Nice looking stand!

Thanks for the tip and complement. What was concerning me was the rust spot on the inside. IM not even sure its rust... I dident think that stainless could rust (expecialy on the inside).. could the heat of the fire effed up the inside?
thanks
Jason

Stainless does corrode and that's quite a set of stains. The fire probably boiled off most of whatever was in it and the concentrated crud has left a residue.

thanks for the quick replies! Thats a relief. Its not that I had any $$$$ in the keg, but Iv put a few hours work in it and I dident want it to all go down the drain.
thanks again
jason

Yeah, stainless can/does rust, the reason being is because of something on the surface of the metal. All you need to do is remove whatever that is and expose the bare metal to oxygen (I think it's called re-passivation). So, in simple terms use BKF like comocabo said with a non-metalic scrubbie, let dry and you'll be good to.

Back