nano legal tap room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Yes I know a nother Nano Brewery question, Is it legal to sell your beer in california in your Tast Room.? and what are the guidlines for the tasting room.

in short, if you have not gone through the permitting process it's not legal to sell homebrewed beer.

It's all about having the right permits and zoning. In general though if you have a type 23 small beer manufactuer license you can have a tap room. Assuming that you meet your local governments zoning.

Yes I know a nother Nano Brewery question, Is it legal to sell your beer in california in your Tast Room.? and what are the guidlines for the tasting room.

Now that is a perfect question for your lawyer. Laws are different from county to county. I wouldn't rely on the internet for that advice.

It is illegal to sell ANY homebrew. It's that simple.

If you get a license to make beer to sell, you are not making homebrew. If you don't have a license to make beer, you CAN'T sell it.

What kind of license do you have?

Didn't I just read a recent article about a law (first of its kind, I think) that allowed homebrewers in that state to sell their beer at local bars?

Pushing for something like that in your state might be your best bet.

That would be awesome but it will never happen. Professional brewers would be pretty upset if they lost a tap to a homebrewer.

That article is misleading. It's a Federal Law that homebrew can't be sold. A state can further limit the federal law, but they can't make it legal to sell homebrew.

There's this article, but I know I heard about something more recent on a podcast (Sunday Session I think).

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/minnesota/home-brews-legal-to-sell-mn-apr-2-2010

If I remember correctly, the BN folks mis-represented the law - it was not about selling homebrew in local bars, it was about being able to pour/serve homebrew in local bars. This way, homebrew clubs could hold their meetings at the brewery/brewpub. The BN corrected their mistake in a later episode (or perhaps even later in that same episode).

If I remember correctly, the BN folks mis-represented the law - it was not about selling homebrew in local bars, it was about being able to pour/serve homebrew in local bars. This way, homebrew clubs could hold their meetings at the brewery/brewpub. The BN corrected their mistake in a later episode (or perhaps even later in that same episode).
No, no, no. You've got it wrong. It was the Michigan bill that was misquoted by the BN, not the Minnesota bill. The Michigan bill is current, the Minnesota bill is from last year. Not the same thing.

Anyway, The Session show on the Brewing Network is archived on their site and in iTunes being released 4-11-2010. Download it and listen.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/621

There is one gentleman there from Placerville that speaks for California specific, although he is only wholesale. Here is the FB page for his brewery, Old Hangtown Beerworks. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Hangtown-Beer-Works/112091415508385

Wow...my club always has it's meetings during regular business hours at a local brewery. I always think it is a little funny to watch people come in with coolers of beer.

Now that is a perfect question for your lawyer. Laws are different from county to county. I wouldn't rely on the internet for that advice.

This guy is exactly right. Put down the computer, go find an attorney, and ask him/her.

If you're shy of lawyers, call the Alcohol folks and ask them this question. They'll either have the answer or know where you should look to get the answer.

Back