Post run beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj75

Reaction score
Brewers,

I like to drink a beer or two after a run. I used to like Corona for the crisp refreshing flavor (with or without lemon or lime). I am thinking of brewing a high carb after workout beer. I am thinking of something with a little more body than Corona. Probably a pale ale with a citrus flavored hops. I do partial mash brewing.

Any comments or recipes? I didn't see any in a quick search of the site.

As I have only a small handful of homebrews under my belt, I feel I have reached expert status to answer all homebrewing questions now!

In all seriousness, from what I've learned and been able to read up on (so take it with a grain of salt), if you are looking for carb-dense beers for post workout imbibing, the higher alcohol, bigger bodied beers seem the way you would push. But after a work out, something tells me a Barleywine, Imperial Stout or IIPA may not be what you are looking to knock back... maybe. I would think a nice American IPA like you were already planning would be decent. Slightly higher ABV 5-7%, use whatever hops you like for the flavor and aroma you want. Sierra Nevada Celebration and Avery IPA have 19g and 13g of carbs respectively. Not quit the 33g you'd get out of a Bigfoot Barleywine. But if you like your Corona's after a run, why not just stick with that.

AND... found this one after thinking about this post:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html

I have read some articles on beer after workout. They also recommend Chocolate milk so maybe a milk stout? My main thing is that it tastes good and the calories help justify it. I have to work up a recipe and just try some variations.

I happen to like dry beers after a long run or bicycle ride. Full of electrolytes - although I also find that I happen to pop open a second or third and negate the exercise altogether!

I suggest an American style ale, either an APA or an IPA, using an attentuative yeast like Wyeast 1054, S-05, etc. I love hoppy beers on a warm summer day, though. :)

Back