Total panic with a Rogue Imperial IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotputman

Reaction score
So I brewed a Rogue I2PA clone ~48hrs ago. I've been worried since I pitched the yeast. I originally used a smack pack of Wyeast 1272, but stupidly (still a relative newbie, especially with higher gravity brews) didn't use a starter, just smacked and dumped......

So after 48 hrs of nothing, I had a moment of sheer panic and dumped in a dry pack of Safbrew T-58 yeast (meant to go in my Dunkleweizen).

Anyone have an inkling of what mixing those yeasts might do? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated, I probably should have just relaxed and had a home brew!

Your right. Relax. Whats done is done. I don't know your OG but a higher gravity beer under pitched will be a longer lag time. I'd imagine you will have some character of both yeasts. Some one with more experience/knowledge with mixing yeasts is sure to chime in...

An added question... Will the dominant yeast "win", overpowering the other?

I've done something very similar. In my case it was Wyeast 1056, and then added US05 (which are very similar strains). Mine turned out just fine, but I can't speak to your yeast combination. Run your O.G. through Mr. Malty Pitching Calculator to see what ou should have pitched.

Rogue I2PA is 25 degrees PLATO or 1.106 O.G. At that gravity Mr. Malty says 20g of dry yeast, appro. 1.7 pkgs of 11.5g dry yeast. Or a 3L starter with 2 smack packs. So according to Mr. Malty, you would need about 355 billion yeast cells.

So far you have pitched 177 billion cells in dry cells and about 100 billion cells in your smack pack. = 277 billion cells. SO, if you were actually shooting for the same OG as Rogue I2PA, you need another 78 billion cells.

That said, what WAS your OG?

Remember: brewing is an art, not a science. Mistakes often breed innovation. I'm not sure how your beer will turn out, but you might have very well brewed something that has never before been tasted. Take pride.

My OG was 1.074. I've been afraid to pop the top, so I haven't done any other readings. The fermentation really kicked up (bubbles at least) about 10 hrs after I dumped in the dry yeast. I guess we'll see how it turns out. It's been a little over a week now.....supposed to dry hop for 10 days after the primary fermentation, so I guess this weekend I'll transfer it to my carboy after I bottle my Dunkleweisen that's in there now!

Thanks for the comments!

Next time, relax first, and don't "panic" and have a knee jerk reaction like pitching more yeast....or anything else out of fear. Take a moment and do some reading...or ask what you should do on here, that's what we're here for, not to clean up your messes, after, but to give you advice before hand.

We would have simply pointed out to you that there is a sticky at the top of the beginner's section entitled, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, that all you had happening was lag time, and that was especially because you didn't make a starter, but that that it was completely normal.

And now you may have a peperry tasting beer, from using the t-58 yeast, since it tends to be estery and is best with wit beers.

In the future, don't react, just ask instead..

:mug:

Tried to give it quite awhile in the secondary to flesh out. Bottled it 2 days ago.....we'll see how it turns out....I tasted just a little at the end, and it tasted very "alcoholy" almost smells like nail polish......anyone experienced that before?

Recipe:

12lb Ultralight Liquid Extract

60min Boil
1oz Magnum Hops for 60
1oz Cascade for 30
1oz Willamette for 15
1 Whirlfloc tablet for 5

Dry Hop for 10-14 days w/ 1oz Willamette

That recipe doesn't look very close, IMO. From Rogue's website:

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

Specs:
20º PLATO
74 IBU
75 AA
13º Lovibond

Yeah, I don't know, this is a recipe I got from a Rogue I2PA kit from MoreBeer....

That's the recipe I got from John. Commercial beers change quite frequently, which is probably the case here. Also, this kit was from a few years ago, so think of it as the original I2PA!

Well it's been about 6-7 months now and the beer is quite drinkable. It does have a "hot" or "peppery" finish, but a couple of my friends think this is really interesting and nice. Anyway, I guess another testimonial to just waiting and letting the beer make itself drinkable!

Back