Any Great Gluten Free Stout or Porter Recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gretz

Reaction score
I am in love with Stouts and Porters (especially the latter), but as of the past 4 years haven't been able to consume gluten.

I am looking for a couple recipes to try out to find something that tastes similar to my old favorites:

• O'Dell's - Cutthroat
  • Breckenridge - Vanilla Porter
  • Southern Tier - 2x Stout
  • Founders - Porter
  • Breckenridge - Oatmeal Stout

Also, if there's anything being sold out there that you know of, I am always looking for new GF beers to try.

:mug:
Cheers!

Have you tried Greens Dubbel Dark? That one is excellent. I too prefer dark beers and am venturing in that way. I remember Iglashion posting a No Nonsense Stout and someone else posting a Dual Spires Black Lodger. Search those and see what comes up. Also, according to fellow homebrewers the twang inherent in the Sorghum extract actually goes well with the stout.

I have Igliashon's No Nonsense (Oatmeal) Stout in the works, about ready to bottle. Easy enough to make and seems like something you could doctor up a bit to your liking since it's pretty basic. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here's a link to his blog/recipe:
http://beyondbarley.blogspot.com/2012/07/no-nonsense-oatmeal-stout.html

I agree with this 100%. I've made 3 batches of this, essentially just as he describes it, and it's very good.

I just had my first Greens Dubbel Dark this weekend and was very impressed. Now I see this post. I was satisfied with pale beer thinking that it just was not possible to make darker gluten free beer but now I think it is at least possible to get closer. Just need to get to roasting grain.

I don't know what those taste like but here is one that we served for the first time tonight, it is a recipe that I created after reading a lot of other recipes and brewing several other GF batches after tasting this batch on the next batch I will add some more aromatic hops and will double the GF oats I might even toast some of the oats to a darker level to add some more color, I may reduce some of the other fermentables and increase the dark syrup. but my daughter says I'm getting very close to something she drank in England before she had to go GF

Ashleigh's Gluten Free Stout

Style: Specialty Beer
Type: Extract
Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
IBU's: 77.99 Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Color: 17.3 SRM Boil Time: 60 minutes
Preboil OG: 1.089

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Actual
OG: 1.094 1.083
FG: 1.023 1.010
ABV: 9.30 % 9.56 %

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 34 days @ 74.0°F 08/19/2013 08/19/2013
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 74.0°F 09/22/2013 09/21/2013

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.00 lbs 46.60 % Briess White Sorghum LME 20 mins 1.037
3.00 lbs 23.30 % Honey 10 mins 1.035
14.00 ozs 6.80 % Candi Sugar, 180 Dark 60 mins 1.032
3.00 lbs 23.30 % Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 60 mins 1.046

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 37.15 Columbus (Tomahawk) 60 mins 15.20
1.00 ozs 25.42 Amarillo Gold 60 mins 10.40
1.00 ozs 15.40 Amarillo Gold 20 mins 10.40

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 dry Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine 30 mins Boil
1.00 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

Carbonation
Force Carbonation

Notes
Use 1.5 lb buckwheat and 2lb gluten free oats soaked in water for an hour, drained placed on cookie sheets in oven at low heat stir every 15 min or so to prevent burning until golden brown ahead of time, then on brew day steeped for 4 hrs or longer in room temp water strain the water then start brewing.

I'm not sure roasting gfree grains/pseudo cereals actually make a dramatic difference in color. Candi syrup is your best bet. Greens is amazing I know!

roasting is not for color it is for flavor I was tired when I typed the first post the idea was on the roasting is to bring out the nutty flavor that roasting creates, the candy sugar is for the color

Are you going to just toast the buckwheat, or malt aswell? I have found that my crystal malt lends a lot of chocolatey/coffee flavours to it. I am going to be testing this probably next weekend, along with making my own dark Belgian candi syrup. If you are not malting it, just try soaking it for an hour or so and roast as if you were making crystal malt. See what you get.

Edit: Just noticed you aren't using buckwheat. I am confusing myself with another post. Still, you could do the same with oat or millet?

Tex60 is using buckwheat. Look at the notes at the bottom of the recipe. He doesn't list them with the grains and adjuncts. Most interesting thing is they are steeped in room temp water instead of hot water. Have not seen that technique.

Ahh, my apologies.

I usually throw my buckwheat in whilst cold and heat up the water. I have found this gets rid of the strange nuttiness and gives more caramel and chocolaty flavours.

One of the local guys suggested the exceptionally long steep/soak time of 4hrs to get max flavor and body from the grains because you get no conversion from trying to do a mash from any of the gluten free grains because of the lack of enzymes. I'm just trying to get the body to a level that it has the mouth feel of a good beer instead of water. Also the oats and buckwheat add some flavor characteristics of grains to the beer as close as possible to grain flavors from a mash. The candy syrup adds the color and some fermentables along with the others. To lessen the often noticeable metallic flavor from sorghum syrup I found through much reading that if it is a lesser percentage of the fermentables and it is boiled as little as possible it will help with that off flavor. My daughter likes bitter beers so I get to be heavy handed with the hops that's why I'm looking at more for the next batch, but from her description I determined that something more on the aroma end, late addition is probably going to be best.

I would suggest a steep of around an hour, at about 154 degrees, in a cooler ;), preferably using malted grains.

Anyone try the white labs gluten ninja? Supposedly allows you to brew any barley beer recipe and with the ninja addition it will bring gluten levels down to under 10 ppm. I have a friend that is gluten intolerant that though he could drink 1 or 2 of these low gluten beers without any trouble so I might make him a batch if "real" beer.

Latest posts

Back