Apfelwein: Longest time in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I'm running out of bottles, and the apfelwein in my carboy will hit the 2 month mark in a couple of weeks. What is the longest time that apfelwein can sit in the carboy?

I want to bottle carbonate this stuff, so it is important that the yeast are up to the task.

Thanks,
Mike

I just bottled mine after 5 months in the primary, but haven't cracked a bottle yet. I primed with corn sugar & re-pitched some yeast for good measure.

I kept mine in the carboy for a little over two months and bottled with 5 oz. of dextrose. It's pretty flat after over a month in the bottle. I'd suggest repitching some yeast at bottling time if you leave it in the carboy that long.

On my first batch I did 5 weeks and it carbonated just fine.

I've gone at least 5 in the primary. I haven't noticed anything off. Actually I have one now that I made back when the weather was still decent.... definitely been a few months.

My first batch sat 2 months before it was touched. It's been bottle conditioned for a couple weeks so far and in a couple days, it will be totally finished.

Greg

shunoshi said:
I kept mine in the carboy for a little over two months and bottled with 5 oz. of dextrose. It's pretty flat after over a month in the bottle. I'd suggest repitching some yeast at bottling time if you leave it in the carboy that long.

On my first batch I did 5 weeks and it carbonated just fine.
Cool. So I just rack on top of the yeast and bottling sugar?
Thanks.

Well Mine has spent 35 days in Glass Carboy Fermenting, then 30 days cleaning, then racked a second time. Bottling next week

You can treat this I suspect like a normal wine, I know people when they make wine to keep racking for 7 - 10 months before they bottle. I am suspecting the same thing with apfelwein

5-6 months in primary; served some uncarbed bottles later that day and they were very well received at the LHBC.

I just bottled a 3 month old apfelwien from primary. It's three days from bottling day and I just opened one and could hear pressure escape. I can also taste the slightest hint of carbonation. When racking into bottling bucket, I stirred up a tiny bit of trub during the last 1/4 gal to hopefully stir up some yeast.

Anyway, ya ya i know. I shouldn't be opening one only 3 days after bottling, but I kind of like it still with the sweetness from priming sugar.

I kegged a batch in April that had been in a carboy since last Sept. and it turned out great.

Back