Lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead_head

Reaction score
Tried a lager for my first all-grain batch. Had it in primary for a month then racked it and it has been lagering for a month. As you can see in the pic there is a line a couple inched from the top where it has cleared out quite a bit, then it gets misty.

Is this top part the clarity that I should expect for the whole beer and should I use it as a gauge to know when lagering is complete? Or is it unrelated and ready to keg after another month or two misty or not?

DSC00243.jpg

i have found in my experience that somehow in carboys yeast sticks to the sides all the way up. I dont know why this happens or whether it happens in buckets and I just dont' see it. I also cant be sure if thats what Im looking at in your picture I just thought I would share.

I agree, it's probably yeast stuck to the sides of the carboy. What yeast strain did you use?

I bet if you transfer to a keg and force carb for a couple weeks it will pour nice and clear. A combination of cold-crashing and gelatin for a couple days might make for good insurance as well.

I saw a rule of thumb one time for lagering...minimum of 1 week per 8 OG points, something like that, when the temp is 33-34F.

Back