New mashtun questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
I just bought a 9 gallon brew pot with a pico style false bottom from aih. Just moved up from a cooler so not so sure about this but there is a small gap between the false bottom and te wall of the pot on one side. About half centimetre. Is this standard or do I have to send it back.

Is your false bottom domed (does it touch the bottom of the pot), is there a center mounted dip tube or does is drain from under the false bottom?

That is too much, You really don't want any gap. Does that false bottom have a lip? Can you bend the lip to better fit the space.

if you can't return it....maybe you can make something to seal it (wrap around the outside lip of the false bottom). Just off the top of my head, a tank gasket from a conical fermenter might work ( Fermenter lid gasket http://conical-fermenter.com/products/spares/), you'd just have to make sure it's High temp silicone. Also you could take some high temp silicone tubing split it down the middle and make your own gasket, that would seal the gap.

I was thinking may e trying to fit a bazooka screen beneath it. Would have to make a couple of cuts to the stand it sits on.

If you bought the pot and screen together, it's the sellers fault and they need to take care of it. If you made your own measurement and the size they sent was what you ordered then try to wrap the edge with silicone tubing as mentioned.

image-1863342654.jpg

Back