Hockey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Hailing from the Buffalo area I'm a big hockey fan. Any other fans out there?! Seems like everyone one is all about football and never watch hockey. I'm just getting sick of the officiating in football and the fact that part time refs dont have to deal with their mistakes. Football is just pissing me off more and more lately and was wondering if anyone shared this feeling.

Any hockey fans or some Cup predictions?

I used to love Hockey, and would stay up late at nite to watch the games....Now, i can't find a game anywhere on TV........They evidently have some kind of contract with some Hockey channel or something like that, so it is never televised here except for the playoffs..........

So, it sucks, but I'm not going to ty and catch up during the playoffs....

I'm a huge hockey fan, but can't see most of the games because of my cable. But I do try to catch most of the Red Wings on FSN, and go to a few college games as well as some Milwaukee Admirals (farm team of the Predators) each year.

FWIW, I also play some hockey.

Hockey season doesn't officially begin until after the football season.

HULLPHS008007.jpg

I watch every Vancouver Canuck game, but having a PVR helps out in that regard. The swmbo is usually not amused when upon asking if I want to go out on Friday, I say 'just a sec, I need to check the Canucks schedule'. Now I happily agree, and just record the game to watch later.

Being Canadian though, it is the norm to be a hockey fan.

GO SHARKS

Use to do cabling at the arena and have a few sticks from the players.

I'm a hockey fan. I actually spent the previous four years in Buffalo, so it kinda grew on me. Last year was a lot of fun going down to the arena and watching the playoffs on the giant TV outside!!! Now I'm in Hurricane country. I hate the Hurricanes...

Go lightening! lol

We dont have a pro team- So I cheer for the Alaska Aces which won the Kelly Cup last year!

Canadien's fan here.

I unfortunately don't watch all the games (school keeps me busy), but I love the fact that we have every single game (total of 82 plus play-offs) aired on a channel available on cable TV (RDS). Not only that, they show almost one game a night between themselves and their continuous sports news channel. Add to that TSN and Rogers Sportsnet and that's a lot of hockey.

I also played hockey for 9 seasons when I was young, and occasionally play outside with friends (once a week from January to April, weather permitting).

The NHL package is a wonderful thing. I usually watch 4-5 games a week. I'm not saying that I live for hockey, but during the lockout year I cancelled my cable. There is not much else on the boob tube that interests me.

Luckily, I have a friend who's company has a box at the Pond. Although I can't bring myself to root for them, I get to see a couple Ducks games a month. Saw Niedermayer hoist Lord Stanley also.

Almost forgot... GO BLUES!

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
any ideas for a hockey brew anyone?

When I think Hockey and Beer I automatically think Labatts Blue, and then a fist fight ensues.

Im sure we can do better than a lager or pilsner, or maybe Im just against it because I dont have the means to make them, Hah.

I think we can rule out a 'big' beer as well, just due to time restrictions.

Go Habs Go

I'm a big Canadiens fan and a big hockey fan in general. I played hockey for about 15 years of my short life (25) and looking to start playing again soon. I just bought a pair of Vapor XVI skates a month or so ago. I can't wait for the city tu make the outside rinks...

The weather is pretty cold for now, I don't know when they'll begin to work on that.

Blackhawks fan here.
Yes, there are Blackhawks fans!
Going Sunday to see Hawks vs Flamers.
(stopping at Map Room, of course!)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the Wings fans and +1 for those who play.
I play goalie in a beer league twice a week...
Though, im getting old and fat and this will probably be my last season as a player.

I played hockey for 12 years and now I just like watching the playoffs. The intensity of the game rises for the playoffs and I love it. I wish I routed for a team so I could watch regular season games, but I just don't really like any teams.

Go Whalers!

GRRRR!!!!

I have 3 tickets for Calgary at Chicago game tomorrow and my ride can't go!
Poor guy has to take his sick kid to doctor.
Now I'm drinking and trying to call and find someone to trade ticket for ride from my town.
If no luck tonight I guess I'll try to sell them tomorrow.

GRRRR!!!!

I wanna go to the game!!!

edit: I think brown ales go well with hockey.

capcrnch said:
+1 for the Wings fans and +1 for those who play.
I play goalie in a beer league twice a week...
Though, im getting old and fat and this will probably be my last season as a player.

Come up to the UP! We have a great beer league! I'm old, too, but not too fat, yet! I have two games tomorrow AM so I plan on being dead tomorrow evening.

YooperBrew said:
Come up to the UP! We have a great beer league! I'm old, too, but not too fat, yet! I have two games tomorrow AM so I plan on being dead tomorrow evening.

It might be a little too far to drive after work for a beer game ;)

I actually play up there twice a year at the Berry Center for tourneys.
Which translates into "I go up to drink twice a year".
Though, next year, i'll probably only play in February as my "farewell tour"

We're also playing in the St. Ignace Pond Hockey Championship.
Which, of course translates into "i'm going to get drunk in St. Ignace in February"...

capcrnch said:
Which, of course translates into "i'm going to get drunk in St. Ignace in February"...

God I miss pond hockey. My knees don't.

capcrnch said:
It might be a little too far to drive after work for a beer game ;)

I actually play up there twice a year at the Berry Center for tourneys.
Which translates into "I go up to drink twice a year".
Though, next year, i'll probably only play in February as my "farewell tour"

I'm pretty sure we're going to skate in the Eagle River Pond Hockey Championship this year. We get kind of screwed though- women's teams aren't broken into age divisions. So our over-40 team plays against college players. We still suck for over-40 but we REALLY suck when you compare us to college players!

YooperBrew said:
I'm pretty sure we're going to skate in the Eagle River Pond Hockey Championship this year. We get kind of screwed though- women's teams aren't broken into age divisions. So our over-40 team plays against college players. We still suck for over-40 but we REALLY suck when you compare us to college players!

Oh that sucks!
This is our first time playing there, so I don't know what the other teams are like.
I've heard that the over 30 teams are usually either very good, or they're us. :D

Are there alot of women teams that show up?

capcrnch said:
Oh that sucks!
This is our first time playing there, so I don't know what the other teams are like.
I've heard that the over 30 teams are usually either very good, or they're us. :D

Are there alot of women teams that show up?

Oh, yeah, I think there are alot. Not nearly as many as men, of course. But it makes the bar ratios alot more fun for us!

YooperBrew said:
Oh, yeah, I think there are alot. Not nearly as many as men, of course. But it makes the bar ratios alot more fun for us!

Well that just helped me make the decision on whether to bring SWMBO with me or not.

I keeeeeed! I keeeeeeeed!

I love beer league hockey! It helps that my team, the Pylons, have won the championship 3 times in the last four years.

pylons05.jpg

Pylons.jpg

2006-07M7_Pylons.jpg

Hey Sabres Brewer, you going to Hawks/Sabres game Saturday?
Patrick Kane returns home to Buffalo for first time.
Wow, that kid is a stud, very fun to watch.

Cheers to new era in Chicago!

I was at the habs vs Tampa game on tuesday!!! THe home team (mtl) lost in S/O... Good game overall, but the canadiens are not so good this year... again. They got all in place to be good but nothing is happening! They had a great start but now they just plain suck!

Go Habs Go... WIN God dammit, WIN!!!

I have a sweet scar from a hockey stick going through my cheek at a 'pick-up' hockey game. A kid I went to school with road by on his 3-wheeler and saw us playing but didn't have his skates. Unfortunately that didn't stop him and when he swung his feet went out from under him and his stick came over the top and hit me in the face. Ahh youth.............sometimes it a miracle we survive it.

Back