Apfelwein question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Chad

Reaction score
I pitched my Apfelwein on 11/15/2007 and the air lock quit bubbling 11/30/2007 it has cleared up but has a ring of tiny air bubbles on top. It don't look like it has any activity. Is it finished fermenting or should I give it more time? Do I need to repitch it?

The hy reading 1.060 first read.
hy reading 0.999 last read.

If you get a flashlight out, you'll still see bubbles rising. Wait a couple more weeks before bottling. Patience pays off.

O.K. I will. Just tasted the little bit I used to mesuare the gravity and I like it; just a hint of green apple taste. yum.

When it's ready, it won't be murky anymore. It will clear up very nicely.

:off: Ed: I tasted it the first time yesterday as I bottled it (one month in primary) - that stuff is smooth (and strong). I'll be making a bunch more.

WillPall said:
Ok, so I'm confused. Is Apfelwein a wine, or a strong beer?
It's basically a (German) hard apple cider.

Check out the main Apfelwein thread (Man, I love Apfelwein) in this section, and if you dare, read the 237 pages! (I personally have not done it yet, maybe one night when I'm really druck :cross:)

Haha, cool. I noticed this thread was in the wine category and it made me question my understanding of Apfelwein. Yeah, I think I'll save those 237 pages for some day when I'm really bored (or really ambitious). And hopefully, you'll never get "druck," whatever that is :).

Latest posts

Back