Wlp833 and your experience. Help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrewHouse

Reaction score
Brewed a 10 gallon batch of mai boch. I used wlp833. The wort was at 70 F, I pitched straight from the tube to the carboys. And they were placed in my freezer at 50 F. That was Saturday at 7:30. Still no signs of anything. Did I pitch wrong or is this a slow slow yeast.

Lager yeasts in particular can be slow starters. Also more co2 will dissolve into solution at those lower temps so that too will contribute to delayed signs of fermentation.

But if you pitched straight from a single vial into 10 gallons of maibock, you'll experience some additional lag time due to underpitching. That would be something you'd want to correct if you can get more WLP833.

How many tubes? Did you aerate? This is why people preach starters, especially for lagers. Going from 70F to 50F is not ideal either. Next time cool the wort into the lower 50's then pitch. For now, just keep rousing it until you see activity.

I really appreciate the help. I put the wort into 2 carboys, each holding 5 gallons each. I vigorously rocked the carboys to aerate but not violently. I used 2 vials, I per carboy. Should I leave the temp at 50 F and continue to jostle them until I see signs of fermentation.

Yes. Outside of buying more yeast that's probably the best option. They're gonna throw a lot of precursor while they get up to population so I would include a diacetyl rest on down the line.

A good pitch rate calc can be found at mrmalty.com for future ref. Lagers do need a buttload of yeast. Cheers.

Looks like I'm making an hour and a half drive for more yeast. I'll leave it at 50 F and pitch a vial per carboy. In your opinion should I pitch the vials alone or use some starter. I have a feeling your gonna say use starter.

Looks like I'm making an hour and a half drive for more yeast. I'll leave it at 50 F and pitch a vial per carboy. In your opinion should I pitch the vials alone or use some starter. I have a feeling your gonna say use starter.

You don't need a starter. But if you're not making a starter, you need more like 5 packs per carboy.

Consult mr malty's yeast pitching calculator for the correct amount: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Just like to say thanks yooper for taking the time to help me out. I was going to drive today and feat more yeast but behold heavy fermentation. I agitated every couple of hours since your post and bam it worked. Thanks again.

I used this yeast for an oktoberfest, 2 tubes in 5 gallons at 60F. It took over 2 days to show signs of activity. If you read the whitelabs site, quite a few folks mention this is a very slow yeast. You will probably be fine without adding more yeast, but it won't hurt either. Once it gets going, get it down to 48.

BTW, this yeast fermented the beer down past what beersmith estimated. The fermentation is very clean.

WLP 833 is pretty much my go to lager yeast now. I guess it helps that I like Ayinger's beers. With this yeast, as with any lager, you have to pitch enough. Unforunately 1 vial isn't enough for great results. Pitch enough yeast, and pitch when your wort is at or slightly below fermentation temps. 833 makes great malty lagers.

This is an excellent yeast for many lagers. With the proper pitch rate (HUGE and/or stepped up starters) and healthy aeration (30min) or oxygenation (2min), you will see activity in less than 12 hours and full krausen by 24 hours when pitching at 46F.

Under-pitching by 80%+, not aerating, pitching warm, then cooling down more than 20 degrees is a recipe for 3+ day lag times and a crappy lager. Sorry.

I know I don't have many brews under my belt but this is the most active fermentation I've ever seen. Hopefully it'll turn out ok. I'll run a diacytel test and lager for about 8 weeks.

Back