Auto siphon cracked.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey

Reaction score
Oddest thing, I used my Auto-siphon last Thursday to transfer a batch from the secondary to the bottling bucket, then later that after noon to transfer wort from my kettle to the primary.

I rinsed out the auto siphon after use then set it aside. Once I was done with everything I placed all the stuff I had used that day in a bottling bucket filled with warm water and PBW to let it soak for a few hours.

I pulled the auto-siphon out to reassemble it a and flush it out when I noticed it had 3 or 4 inch long cracks running parallel along the middle, The siphon had not been dropped or mishandled during use or cleaning, any ideas what may have caused this?

I think I'd be upset if a 3 month old auto-siphon cracked due to fatigue! Possible I guess, I store mind disassembled in the bottling bucket.

It still works, it just shoots liquid out the cracks when you pump it.

I cracked mine in a similar way, except I knew how i did it. A few batches later I started having contamination problems. After a few crappy batches, and scrubbing everything, and replacing all my plastic lines and still having problems, I replaced the autosiphon. No more infections. It only took me 5 nasty batches to figure it out. 10 dollar autosiphon compared to 100 dollars worth of bad beer tossed in the garden

YMMV

i broke one once because the little piece in the bottom fell out. tried everything to get it back in but it wouldn't go. LHBS was cool about just exchanging it, it was a week old. i think they're pretty crappy in general and i use mine only when necessary. anytime i want a siphon from anything with a carboy cap on it i use an inline sanitary filter to blow pressure into the carboy. much less chance for oxidation and only a simple racking cane and hose to keep clean.

i've had two of mine develope fractures like this. I don't know what happened to cause it. At first i thought running it through the washer caused it to break. i didn't wash/sanitize it in the washer after that yet it still happened again.

Mine has some lines running down it too. It will probably crack soon. I will not be buying replacement.

I cracked a few of these before I learned the secret.

DON'T LET IT COME IN CONTACT WITH HOT WATER. I started washing/sanitizing in lukewarm water, and my latest one hasn't developed these cracks.

I think the problem, as someone else mentioned, is that they are just cheapily made. I broke mine not all that long ago and when I was in the market for a new one, I searched for one that was made of better quality. Whether that be thicker plastic, or metal or something, but I was unable to find one. Seems like the ones we use are the only ones out there. I pretty much treat it as a disposable item now. The new one is still in good shape, but I know that eventually I am going to have to replace it.

Latest posts

Back