S-04 ferment slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Recently brewed a pale ale with s-04 and my beer has died at 1.022.

10.8 lbs 2 row
.43lbs C60
.43 lbs aromatic
2 lb Munich

Mash 155
Ferment 63 4 days then raised to 70 over the next 3 days. Now at 70.

Original gravity- 1.063

Is this normal for this yeast? I will start to rouse today. I have taken two readings over three days and the yeast has now caked.

Relax?

That's still a bit low, I figure around 65% attenuation. How close to 155 did you mash? If you were a bit high on mash temps, more unfermentables were in your wort. That could explain the high FG. I'd say rouse the yeast, keep it warm (high 60s) and give it some time.

I'm wanting to use Safbrew T-58 to ferment a batch of Negra Modelo. The recipe calls for SafLager s23. Will this work. What are the consequences?

Safale ferments out throughly and quickly with all my batches at 60F. I've done 9% beers with s-04 and s-05. Check the expiration on the yeast package? Did you use 1 pack for 5 gallons or less? IF you weren't exactly at 155 thoughout the entire mash volume, you may have may your error there. I have had a 100% success rate with Safale, but I am speaking for myself.

Then again, I use semi-automated, controlled systems and a fermentation chamber with temperature control to take care of business

I actually have never mashed this high in my system. I also thought about unfermentables as well. Does this attenuation sound off for 155?

saf-04 should get 75-80% attenuation, although i can't say how accurate that is from my experience. i've used that yeast once and i know i didn't come close to 75%. maybe low 70%s. i tend to stick with the liquid cultures for british strains. the mash temp would've put more unfermentable sugar in the wort, but i doubt that much. give it some time, maybe you can get a few more gravity points out of it.

I've got one sitting in the fermenter right now (with S-04) that also stalled at 1.022. OG was 1.58 and I was expecting to get to 1.016 with it. I warmed it up to 70 on Monday and roused it a bit to hopefully get it to finish down a bit lower. I'll check it tomorrow and see where it's at. The first couple of days I had it at 68 degrees, but then the ambient temp in my garage pulled it down to 62-63. This is the first time I've had one of the Fermentis yeasts stall a bit on me.

The issue with S-04 is that it flocculates VERY well and forms a super tight cake on the bottom of the fermenter. So, sometimes it will stall like this because it has flocculated out too quickly, especially if the temp dips a bit towards the middle/end of fermentation. Rousing *should* get it going again, but I cannot quite stress just how tight of a cake it tends to form and how clumpy it can get, so you might try physically agitating the cake with something.

Yeah, I know it flocculates very well, so for this one I swirled the Sanke keg around pretty good. I normally don't like to kick it around that much, but thought it needed it this time.

I have not had problems with their yeast either.

I am at 1.022 right now and I want to get to about 1.016. Do I need to disturb the cake or will rousing be enough? I assume enough considering that it is only a handful of points.

I'm wanting to use Safbrew T-58 to ferment a batch of Negra Modelo. The recipe calls for SafLager s23. Will this work. What are the consequences?

Not a good substitution. T58 is more of a belgian yeast and will produce a ton of esters and peppery flavors. If you are brewing a lager and use T58 yeast, you will be sorely disappointed.

Back