Need Advice Asap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juglar

Reaction score
I brewed an AG oatmeal stout last night and through unforesee-able circumstances wasn't able to check my gravity until today. It's 1.022, seems low to me (I don't think I sparged enough).
Anyway. The Question:

Can/Should I add an extra 3/4# corn sugar I got laying arougn to bring up the gravity? Is this a good/bad idea? Am I a moron for not sparging enough?

Any advice would be appreciated.

What was your recipe? I'd say lay off the corn sugar. If you want to add to the gravity, add some malt extract that has been boiled in water and chilled.

Just let it go. Assuming you also pitched the yeast last night the gravity today is not what it was to start anyways so you really have no way of making an accurate assessment at this point.

Let it do its thing and you'll do better next time. It will still be okay, just not what you wanted.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Just let it go. Assuming you also pitched the yeast last night the gravity today is not what it was to start anyways so you really have no way of making an accurate assessment at this point.

Let it do its thing and you'll do better next time. It will still be okay, just not what you wanted.

I agree........!

I appreciate the help. I'll just let it sit and chalk this up to experience.

Thanks to everyone for the speedy response.

Brewsmith said:
What was your recipe? I'd say lay off the corn sugar. If you want to add to the gravity, add some malt extract that has been boiled in water and chilled.
=============
Sparging errors IMO are the major cause of bad starting S.G., mainly too much water collected.

I stop sparging when SG is 1.008-1.010, and typically the runnings at that time show a transparent color and apears thin. The mash bed at that time will not have any foam and is evidently "SHOT"

Let me suggest taking a small sample of your runnings during your sparge and cooling it (I use a tuna fish can) in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and when you are ready for your next sparge water addition you will have been able to take a SG reading on the cooled sample to guide you in decision making for the next sparge addition.

Your event Happened to me oncet ;>). I decanted out a gallon of wort, brought it to a boil adding a bottle of Briess LME, boiled till it seemed long enough (60 minutes NOT needed for this practice) and let cool.covered, and siphoned back into wort. Since it was winter it cooled outside quickly

Got a fine beer.
yodar

Until you are really comfy with your setup, keep the Hydro out and a bag of good ole DME for just in case adds.

Back