Weird Concoction (liquor not beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
On my 17th or 18th birthday my father cracked open a concoction he made when I was born. He stored it in mason jars and the top portion of the jar was waxed to prevent oxidation.

What kind of drinks are made to hold up that long. He never explained the tradition but one day I'm not sure if he was joking said it contained parts of my plasma from when I was born. (I think he was kidding).

I think I remember seeing fruits in there and the liquid was dark.

Any idea what this was?

an ancient mayan family once stored the placenta of their child and added yeast, there are natural sugars in the placenta that the yeast can break down. That is the "seeds" you saw. Most of it dissolves in the 18 years it has to sit.

No. I don't know what your dad made. Talk to someone who was around if he isn't anymore.

That's the thing he's alive and well but wont give me a straight answer:mad:

OK, I got some more info from my Dad (just called him)

He said I have to ask my Grandmother she 103 living in Kentucky, I doubt she'll remember.

He said the part of Cuba where he was from made this drink it's not clear there's any placenta in there.

3 different kinds of rum and made by the 5 gallon batch.

essentially there might be traditions with similarities in other ethnic groups especially those based from Europe so that's why I posted it here.

A good thread to start would be traditional baby born brews or liquors

Back