15 gal vs 5 gal lauter tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlevon

Reaction score
I'm about to make to the transition from extract to all grain. Can you make barleywines or stronger ales in the 5 gallon coolers or should i just get the 15 gal one. I prefer making the high octane brews.

I'm about to make to the transition from extract to all grain. Can you make barleywines or stronger ales in the 5 gallon coolers or should i just get the 15 gal one. I prefer making the high octane brews.

Welcom to the forum... and AG brewing. This is a pretty frequent question here. BobbyM has a chart on gravity you can expect out of your mash-tun based on efficiency and size. See thread.

I've got a 5 gal myself and I'm limited to about 5 gal batches w/ OGs of ~1.055. That was at about 75% efficiency. Personally I'd go big. I really wish I'd held out for a larger mash-tun and now I'm looking at spending another $50 for a 72 qt cooler so I can do some REALLY big brews.

Yea if your gonna to big beers go with bigger than a 5 gallon.
All i have is a 5, and about 12 lbs of grain is about it.

Home Depot has a pretty popular "gatorade" style round drink cooler for about $38. Not sure if you have HD around, but I'm pretty happy w/ mine. It's 10 gallons and can handle any 5 gallon grain bill.

I have a 50Quart and would want NOTHING less. Once you go Ag, you'll realize 10G batches take MAYBE an extra hour over 5G. took me 3 5G AG bathes to start doing 10G instead!

Back