Hoppy Wheat Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpaz

Reaction score
Hey all,

My buddy is bringing his Dad's all grain equipment over on Saturday, so this will be my first real all grain experience. We decided on a Hoppy Wheat brew, which seems perfect for this time of year (minus the snow we got on Tuesday....) This is based off of Thunderworm's recipe from here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/am...e-best-show-2011-hbt-bjcp-competition-238940/

Anyways, our rough draft recipe is as follows:

2 row - 5.5 lb (50%)
Wheat Malt 4.5 lb (41%)
Munich - 0.5 lb (4.5%)
Rice Hulls - 0.5 lb (4.5%)

Magnum - 0.5 oz @ 60
Centennial - 0.25 @ 10
Centennial - 0.75 @ 0

Yease - Wyeast 2565 Kolsch

What are you thoughts? BrewToad puts me at 1.053 for OG and 24 IBUs. Should I bump up the bittering hops a tad to make it a bit hoppier? Dry Hop?

Thanks for your help!

Recipe looks good. But, if you want a tasty beer add more hops at the end. 15, 10, 5. Will contribute to aroma and flavor and not add much to bitterness. If you do not do this or have the hops the recipe looks good. Keep ferment temp low. Cheers

Wyeast kolsch is great but it's a pain if you want clear beer. Otherwise it is fine. Get it real cold. I mean 31 ish to drop out yeast.

I hoping its cloudy as my goal is a wheat beer with a pale ale hop flavor. So, it appears it'll be perfect. Thanks for the suggestion of the late hops, I'll run it by my friend. Any suggestion on which hops for the flavor and aroma? Thanks again!

Back