First timer. Fermenting started FAST!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvindc125

Reaction score
Im attempting to make apple cider. my SG is 1.078 I used natural apple cider from the store with no added vitamin C. Its just straight apple juice. I added 2 cups of sugar. Im making a one gallon batch using ec1118 (gonna be DRY!) I used pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient correct dosages for both. Im using a two gallon fermentation bucket. Now heres the deal. Its about 60 degrees in my house right now. It was the same when I pitched the yeast and I pitched it direct I didnt reactivate it....Now two hours later I have bubbles every 10 seconds in the air lock...:ban: I thought it wa supposed to take like 12 hours to start.....is it going to blow up? :confused:

Haha, won't blowup so long as you've got an air release of some sort. Bubbles every 10 sec is actually not that fast. When my Graf is going hardcore, it can use a blow off tube, bubbling 1 per second or more.

Good luck and welcome to the forum

Haha, won't blowup so long as you've got an air release of some sort. Bubbles every 10 sec is actually not that fast. When my Graf is going hardcore, it can use a blow off tube, bubbling 1 per second or more.

Ok Cool. I got PLENTY of head space. I did count on that. But I didnt think it would start so fast....Pretty exciting though. This is a brand new hobby for me. I have read up on the subject for months now and decided to try it out tonight. Thanks for wising me luck. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Graf? is that like a beer/ cider?

Well this morning I have no bubbles at all. it is dead for some reason....weird.

Is this normal? Guess i'll watch it today and see what it does.

I just opened the bucket up to take a peak and it you can here it bubbling. Pretty laud. The seal might have a slight leak or something. I have one of those two gallon fermenting buckets from mid west brew. I have read that the seal on the lid almost always breaks....They sent me 2 lids with the bucket.....I see why now....i'll let it rock for about 10 days the check the gravity.

Would it hurt to agitate it a bit? all the yeast floated to the top.

If it's the white two-gallon buckt I'm thinking of, I have the same one. Make sure that you press the airlock pretty far down into the gromet, to force the gromet against the sides of the drilled hole that it sets in.

If you've been peeking at it as it ferments, you'll probably see that there isn't much of a head formed with the 1118. I've used it on ciders before, and all I really ever seen was a stream of bubbles up around the sides, and some general turbulence in the liquid. If you used the whole pack of yeast (which is fine) the fermentation time probably wont take more than 2-3 days for the single gallon that you have. Like Unferth said, 1 bubble / 10 seconds is actually pretty slow in terms of what a rapid fermentation can be like. Expect to see a nearly constant stream of bubbles flowing out at some point.

It may take a little longer to clear than you think, the rapid fermentation is very misleading. When you are sure it's done, rack it to a 1 gallon glass jug and throw it in the fridge for a month and forget about it. It should be pretty clear by then.

Re: Graf. Yes, sort of a beer/cider. Spectacular stuff , give it a try. Here's Brandon-O's recipe

I know it's tough, but try not to worry too much, you've got a tried and true recipe and yeast. It will ferment on its own.

If it makes you feel better to agitate it with a clean sanitized spoon or the like, agitate all you wish at this stage. Don't mess with it after fermentation though.

RDWHAHB!

If it's the white two-gallon buckt I'm thinking of, I have the same one. Make sure that you press the airlock pretty far down into the gromet, to force the gromet against the sides of the drilled hole that it sets in.

If you've been peeking at it as it ferments, you'll probably see that there isn't much of a head formed with the 1118. I've used it on ciders before, and all I really ever seen was a stream of bubbles up around the sides, and some general turbulence in the liquid. If you used the whole pack of yeast (which is fine) the fermentation time probably wont take more than 2-3 days for the single gallon that you have. Like Unferth said, 1 bubble / 10 seconds is actually pretty slow in terms of what a rapid fermentation can be like. Expect to see a nearly constant stream of bubbles flowing out at some point.

It may take a little longer to clear than you think, the rapid fermentation is very misleading. When you are sure it's done, rack it to a 1 gallon glass jug and throw it in the fridge for a month and forget about it. It should be pretty clear by then.
Yep you might be right. I pushed the air lock further down and 10 minutes later its bubbling again. :rockin: crazy man.

No Problems with it this morning. Im getting bubbles almost constantly and a fizzing sound like a soda makes when you poor it. I dont want to open it to see but I imagine its fizzing and moving about pretty good in there. So far I think I made a great choice in choosing a small batch of cider as my first batch of DIY Alcohol.

I racked the cider to the secondary today. It toped out at 0.992 giving me 11.29% ABV It taste amazing very smooth! But the secondary only filled up to 3/4 of the way I have a good bit of head space....I have heard that you cant have alot of head space in a secondary....So what do I top it up with? If I use apple juice it will cause the abv to go up and I want to bottle condition. And water will dilute it.....So what do I do? Or is it ok for ciders to have some head space in the secondary?

actually did some research and saw that some head space in the secondary is ok.....Its clearing fast as hell, I suspect it will be completely clear in the next 72 hours.....I cant believe how good it taste. Even at 11.29 ABV it taste very smooth like a $200.00 dollar bottle of white wine.

Back