Ghetto starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcelher

Reaction score
I didn't have enough time to go to the store. I have wyeast 1214, which did not inflate. Read up that it's a slow yeast and should make a starter.

Took 1 cup water/1 cup of my already done wort 1060. So this starter is 1030ish. Of course I took the precautions of sanitizing. Will wait to pitch into my wort did I mess up or I'm I a genius?

Pretty much did I mess up and need to go buy yeast tomorrow ? Wyeast date is jan 8th. So doesn't seem that bad.

Relax, let the started do its thing and pitch it tomorrow. Of course its always best to have your starter done before hand.

Yup. Should have read up on that yeast. Smack packs made me lazy. Lesson learned.

Not ghetto at all... I brewed up a small batch this morning just for starter. It's cheaper than dme, and I can make a bunch and freeze it for next time.
As for steeling a little from your batch because you weren't prepared... well that's just a shame.

I make my starter wort from scratch all the time I have one of these that I use with a 1 gallon paint strainer.

I usually put another gallon of water in to my mash tun after sparging just to collect for starters. Put it in tupperware containers and freeze. When I need a starter, I pull one out, boil and cool.

How many gallons are you fermenting? I don't think 1214 is that slow of a starter if pitched properly. You probably won't create any more yeast with the 1 cup thing so I would just pitch it. It doesn't need to inflate. You would need a 2L starter with 1 smack pack to properly pitch 5 gallons. Since you are using a Belgian strain then stressing the yeast by under pitching might produce some of the flavors you are looking for. I would pitch it as is and let the yeast do its thing. Just prepare for the phenolic/Banana profile this yeast is known to produce so monitor your fermentation temps to get what you want.

Back