Unable to get OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bencop

Reaction score
My hydrometer's tube was not tall enough for me to get an OG reading. Not wanting to keep the wort exposed to air, I skipped the reading.
I'm considering using my body to tell me the approx alcohol content by seeing how many beers I need to drink to get tipsy. Any other ways?

The container isn't made for testing, just storage.

Buy a plastic test jar...they are under $5

Yeah, I have a nice tube with a base now, but in the absence of a time machine, it won't help me get my OG! I thought for sure my "everything included that you need" kit would have one, but I looked everywhere---no time machine. I mean, no tube!

This is a clear case of RDWHAHB.

I have done quite a few brews where I don't get an OG. As long as I hit my pre-boil OG (for all grain, not needed for extract) I know my post boil OG will be fine. Not the best means of keeping records, but the beer tastes fine either way.

Is this an extract brew? If so and you: a) got all the extract into the brew and, b) topped off to the correct volume then you can use the median OG that the directions specified. As long as you do those two things with extract you don't really need to measure the gravity.

Its ok, Ive only brewed 10 batches and ive already starting skipping taking measurements. I know its a bad habit to get into, but honestly I know if i put this much fermentables in 5 gallons, it will be around this %, if I let it sit long enough at 65 degreees or so, it should ferment down....

Ive silently vowed to myself to do it right next time... I brewed yesterday, OG was somewhere between 1067 and 1057?? I think. Also Put my R.I.S into seconday and afterwards seen that it was only at 1025 ACK! Yeah, im gonna make these measurements a priority from now on.

Its a good habit to keep is all, not gonna kill you if you skip it :)

Latest posts

Back