cider with wyeast 1028

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaos

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this before? I have three jars of 1028 that i washed from a mild ale I made back in September and want to give it a try. Any ideals?

hey misplaced i am just making 1 gallon batches! gotta find the right combo i like for cider. I tried making a starter being this yeast had been sitting for 3 months + and well i just checked on it and the yeast is pretty much dead no activity what so ever. I put my yeast nutrient in my starter just to give them a kick in the butt,you know. but nothing after 6 hrs on the stir plate. so it looks like i will be using the old stand-by ..us-04! Cheers!! oh and thanks for that link i wrote it to give a shot.

I just revived a washed jar of 1028. I used it in a beer last march and woke it up for a batch I pitched on 1/05. It took +48 hours to wake up but it did wake up and perform well in the beer. I'm now using it in some cider I started on 1/31. I plan on adding some brown sugar after a week or so of fermentation to bump up the ABV.
With a low tolerance(11%) it wouldn't take massive amounts of sugar to overpower the yeast and sweeten it without fear of bottle bombs later.

Back