Home Bar Build - In Progress...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstauth

Reaction score
Stalling out currently as we are busy with holiday stuff. Here is the work so far. I have spent about $230 on supplies and a few tools. Next expense and decision is the bar top

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

Need to get the grout done. Hoping I can do this prior to vacation...(the resolution on my phone is not so good)

2012-12-13 16.52.37.jpg

I really like those glass tile sheets. I might use them for my bar top then pour the clear bar top stuff over them.

That looks fantastic... Color me jealous. I agree with BrewGeek on the tile sheets also. Bomb dot com.

Getting closer as we applied the bar top resin. I added a simple and cheap wood paneling to the top. This would have never held up to much abuse but the resin solves that. Also started converting my keezer to a coffin type (1st keezer pic below is obviously the old setup).

barbuild.jpg

keezer.jpg

keezertower.jpg

Looks awesome! I'm going to be building a bar in my basement but I'm actually cutting it into an interior wall that separates my brew room from the main part of the basement. I like the wall tile idea and the resin over the wooden top. Can you post a close up picture of the bar surface?

One suggestion: I saw a home bar that had white LED rope lighting under the edge of the bar so it would illuminate the floor and the tile work you did. I noticed you had an outet on that wall the bar is touching...would be a nice touch. :D

Looks kinda like this:
sloane-sf-waterproof-led-light-bars-thumb.jpg

Yeah, I was definitely considering that idea with some LED tape or some other solution. I still have some grout work and some finishing to do all over, but at least it will be functional as soon as the resin cures (3 days to go on that).

I'll see if I can get a good close up pic of the surface. It looks like a pool of glass in person.

Looks awesome! I'm going to be building a bar in my basement but I'm actually cutting it into an interior wall that separates my brew room from the main part of the basement. I like the wall tile idea and the resin over the wooden top. Can you post a close up picture of the bar surface?

One suggestion: I saw a home bar that had white LED rope lighting under the edge of the bar so it would illuminate the floor and the tile work you did. I noticed you had an outet on that wall the bar is touching...would be a nice touch. :D

Looks kinda like this:
sloane-sf-waterproof-led-light-bars-thumb.jpg

Looking good! What was the actual product name for your resin, and how much time did you have to work with it - and to get the bubbles out (with heat?)?

I used a gallon kit of EnviroTex Lite Pour-on finish. I may do one more flood coat to get it a bit thicker. My wife and I spent about 30 minutes spreading and then popping bubbles with a torch. I was surprised you can get a nice little one at Home Depot for $13.

Looks basic but works VERY well. I love the 'cheap' bar top with the resin. So simple but so effective and actually looks pretty professional! I'd be very happy if I had a bar like that. Top job! :)

Awesome! Can't believe how well that resin flood coating comes out! Maybe the trick is to build a "tent" clean room out of drop cloth plastic to minimize the dust contamination on the surface while the flood coat sets up.

A few more photos of it. Might touch up some things and I need to finish the keezer, but the bar is mostly done. Total cost of the bar only (not keezer stuff or stools) was about $440. I'm extremely happy about that figure.

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Nice job, good looking bar!

About to pour my top as well. I still have a lot of work to do on the leveling of the bar as a whole though, damn patio is sloped away nicely from the house, and well, so is my bar!

Question on the pour, I see you built a lip around your bar to contain the epoxy pour, but what did you do to seal off the end where it meets the wall, I have the same design, L shape coming off one wall. Will need to seal this off somehow so it doesn't just run all over the floor.

Nice job, good looking bar!

About to pour my top as well. I still have a lot of work to do on the leveling of the bar as a whole though, damn patio is sloped away nicely from the house, and well, so is my bar!

Question on the pour, I see you built a lip around your bar to contain the epoxy pour, but what did you do to seal off the end where it meets the wall, I have the same design, L shape coming off one wall. Will need to seal this off somehow so it doesn't just run all over the floor.

I used a clear DAP Kwik Seal caulk against the wall and also where the lip piece meets the bar top. This helped to prevent any of the epoxy dripping through. Worked great!!

Did you knotty pine or the bar or what kind of wood and stain for the front?

This was a budget build, so I used the cheapest 1x4 boards that Home Depot had and then used Minwax prestain, then dark walnut stain, then Wipe-on Poly. I need to do another coat of the poly when I get a chance.

Here are a few new ones that include the finishing touches to the keezer and some stuff on the wall. Hoping to fill the wall with some cool beer related stuff through the years.

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

Hi there,

Your bar looks awesome! I am starting my bar build and was wond4ering if I could ask what the specs are for yours? how wide are your bar top and work surface? how much did you overhang your bar top?

thanks!!

Back