Nelson Sauvin Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't brewed with Nelson Sauvin hops before, so last hop order I bought some. Today is the day! Here's my recipe:

All Grain
Batch Size: 6 gallons
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70%
Est. OG: 1.052
Est. IBU: 35
Est. Color: 7.8 SRM

7.25 lbs Pale Malt
3 lbs. Munich Malt
1 lb. Caramel 20L
1 lb. Wheat Malt
Irish Moss
0.5 oz, Chinook 10% AA (First Wort Hop) (60 minutes)
1 oz Nelson Sauvin 11% AA (10 minutes)
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin (5 minutes)
1 oz. Nelson Sauvin (0 minutes)
3 oz. Nelson Sauvin (dry hop)
Edinburgh Yeast (WLP028)
Single Infusion Mash @ 154F
Batch Sparge

It's good to brew again, haven't brewed since making the White House Honey Ale with a big group back in October.

Love me some nelson sauvin! Recipe looks good, NS gives a kind of white-wine light tartness, which i think goes perfectly with maltier grain bills, so you should be good.

First time with a new mill and I ended up with a little higher efficiency than usuall, and an OG of 1.056 instead of the target OG of 1.052. Other than that, everything went swimmingly. Five hours start to cleanup.

Pappers_ said:
First time with a new mill and I ended up with a little higher efficiency than usuall, and an OG of 1.056 instead of the target OG of 1.052. Other than that, everything went swimmingly. Five hours start to cleanup.

"Swimmingly" is my absolute favorite adjective fr an excellent brewday, i probably said it about 50 times when recently brewed my imperial black rye ipa!

Sounds good, went to a beer bar yesterday and out of the 12 taps at least 7 beers had NS in...

Pappers, it's tremendously popular with British breweries, probably half have an offering with it, at least three out of my five local breweries do. Kipling by Thonrbridge was the first big one, released two or three years ago. Yesterday I drank stuff called things like "Full Nelson" and "Bitter Kiwi", so you can imagine what way they go...

Just used them for the first time in an IPA. How did your APA turn out Pappers? What should I expect?

It won first place in the American Ales category at the Chicago WinterBrew competition! My wife doesn't often request specific beers, but she asked me to brew this again.

The hop aroma and flavor is definitely fruity, but more tropical than citrus.

I was hoping to brew this as I love a good British ale.
When I type this recipe in to BrewTarget it comes out as Cloying with only 14.4 IBU's.
Could you have typed something wrong with the recipe.

The recipe I typed is correct. Did you remember to add the 1/2 oz of 10% Chinooks for 60 minutes (first wort hop)? According to Beersmith, this recipe will yield 38 IBU and my palate says that's about right.

Back