Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does this look like an infection to anyone? light colored spots spreading across the surface of my primary. they haven't receded and have been there for a good while.

Had something similar in my last brew, came to the conclusion that it was just floaty yeast.

On a different note i ended up with more yeast in my bottles than the brew before, dont know if that was related to the floaties though.

PolishStout said:
does this look like an infection to anyone? light colored spots spreading across the surface of my primary. they haven't receded and have been there for a good while.

Those look normal. They are yeast particles brought to the surface by CO2 bubbles. "Yeast rafts" is the terminology that's been used before. RDWHAHB!

I freaked out the first time I saw yeast rafts, too. It was my first batch and I even posted pics asking for opinions. That first batch turned out awesome and it's still the best beer I've ever had.

---Chris

Here's what my Bourbon Barrel Porter (from Northern Brewer) looked like coming out of primary:

2011-04-27_23-38-26_269.jpg

Here's what it looks like right now after five days in secondary:

HPIM2505.jpg

I'm ridiculously careful with sanitation too, so I dunno how this could've happened. I racked very carefully from under the first "thing", being careful not to transfer any of it.

:mad:

that is beautiful!!!!

it's funny, I thought the first pic was just yeast rafts but upon closer inspection you can see the pellicle lines starting to form

This whole thread has made me paranoid. My photos are of my Leffe Blonde clone. It has been in the primary for a little over a week at about 70 degrees. This is my first Blonde recipe and I have never had any elements on the top of the beer when I am getting ready to secondary or bottle. It smells OK, somewhat sour but overall it still smells like beer. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Bill

IMG-20110504-00070.jpg

IMG-20110504-00069.jpg

IMG-20110504-00068.jpg

I took these pictures this morning when i was checking an APA that I have been dry hopping for a few days.

SDC12244.JPG

SDC12245.JPG

This thread scares me, now I'm really worried about my stout, I changed up my sanitation procedures because I switched to star san and now I'm nervous.

Anyone got a read on this?

GEDC0056.jpg

The foam is fine...I poured it into the carboy too quickly...it's that brown mass thats got me worried.

Even though it looks like your dog left you a present, it's only krausen and is perfectly normal.

Great, and just when I was feeling confident my first brew was going to turn out, now I'm having second thoughts. It's been in the primary for almost three weeks, with a muslin (sanitized with star san) bag of hops thrown in 5 days ago. I haven't peeked in (Ale Pale) since dry hopping, but now I'm going to have to crack the lid and satisfy my curiosity. :)

I'm sure it's fine, but after seeing some of these pics, one can't help but be overly cautious.

wyzazz said:
Do you mill your grain in the same place you ferment? Or did that muslin bag previously hold grain? Just trying to troubleshoot a bit here.

No, I mill at the LHBS. It was the first time the bag was used for anything.

Just to point out something, I still am not certain it was infected yet. ::crosses fingers::

IMG_1070.JPG
Liberty Cream Ale Extract Kit from Midwest

IMG_1071.jpg
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Clone from LBHS

I don't think either has an infection both taste fine 3 1/2 weeks in primary. I'm set to bottle in a few days. The Hefe fermented vigorously so much I had to use a blow off tube.

I don't think either has an infection both taste fine 3 1/2 weeks in primary. I'm set to bottle in a few days. The Hefe fermented vigorously so much I had to use a blow off tube.

you're right, neither have an infection. look good!

So how about something similar to this. I tried to tip the carboy up on the side a bit to get some of the condensation down for the pic...and the little *dots* look like a bunch of c02 bubbles...but then again I can't decide. They might have a slight fuzzy tendency :confused:

This IPA is on day 12, and it was transfered to this secondary after 7 days (FG was reached).

No bottles to bottle, otherwise I would tonight. Looks like I'll be waiting till Tuesday haha.

Photo May 29, 7 13 05 PM.jpg

Oops, just saw you said it was in secondary. Did they just develop overnight or over a few days?

Well, I racked it into the secondary 5 days ago (Tuesday) and I was out of town since Thursday...didn't notice anything Thursday and it's come about since then. So I guess over the past 4 days? Makes me sad :(

Well, I racked it into the secondary 5 days ago (Tuesday) and I was out of town since Thursday...didn't notice anything Thursday and it's come about since then. So I guess over the past 4 days? Makes me sad :(

ANy odds smells? I'd let it ride for another week or so and see if it gets worse. If not, just enjoy your beer! It really does look ok though.

---Chris

ANy odds smells? I'd let it ride for another week or so and see if it gets worse. If not, just enjoy your beer! It really does look ok though.

---Chris

Hmmm...I have yet to crack it open since I racked it. I was hoping to bottle it maybe Wed/Thurs this week so I can free up the carboy for a batch this weekend. Might it be too early to bottle with this newest development?

21 days is my absolute minimum. At least 2wks in primary and one in secondary. Go spend $13 on a new primary bucket if you want to brew sooner and let this one sit for another couple weeks.

---Chris

21 days is my absolute minimum. At least 2wks in primary and one in secondary. Go spend $13 on a new primary bucket if you want to brew sooner and let this one sit for another couple weeks.

---Chris

Hmm...just might can do that. The reason I wanted to empty out the carboy is because I'm going to dry-hop another IPA this weekend....can I just throw the hops in the primary or does it need to be racked to a secondary for dry hopping?

Hmm...just might can do that. The reason I wanted to empty out the carboy is because I'm going to dry-hop another IPA this weekend....can I just throw the hops in the primary or does it need to be racked to a secondary for dry hopping?

Yes, you can throw in primary.

I brewed a batch about 3 weeks ago and the infection looked like white cobwebbs about half inch tall throughout the top of the secondary. it was difficult to tell how it affected the beer because it had a lb of honey and bitter orange peel in it. It did have fruity and slightly sour taste to it so minimal tat didnt stop me from consuming most of it in 2 weeks and no complaints from everyone that tried it so what did it have and how do i avoid this next batch?

That's CO2 being released. RDWHAHB.

M_C
So how about something similar to this. I tried to tip the carboy up on the side a bit to get some of the condensation down for the pic...and the little *dots* look like a bunch of c02 bubbles...but then again I can't decide. They might have a slight fuzzy tendency :confused:

This IPA is on day 12, and it was transfered to this secondary after 7 days (FG was reached).

No bottles to bottle, otherwise I would tonight. Looks like I'll be waiting till Tuesday haha.

Back