Mash Out / Batch Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently got into AG have a quick (hopefully) question for those of you who Batch Sparge.

1.) Do you Mash In ==> Mash Out ==> Empty into Boil Pot ==> Add Sparge Water to Mash Tun?
or
2.) Do you Mash In ==> Empty into Boil Pot ==> Add Sparge Water into Mash Tun?

Didn't know if you can just skip the Mash Out.

Thanks.

Rick

You can skip mashout. You can skip the sparge, even, if you don't mind the efficiency hit. Malt wants to become beer.

sorry to drag up an old post but is there much difference between mash out and sparge vs double batch sparge? Just considering that I would save the 20mins it takes to drain my mash tun if I used a mash out then heat my water for my sparge. I'm using a small MLT to heat my water so I'm heating each volume separately.

No mash out.......just add the mash out volume to the sparge water.

Or...divide it between the mash and sparge. Thinner mashes are more efficient. I haven't done any hard number crunching on the theory, but I just do a single sparge to get half of my boil volume, the other half is the mash water. The few points in efficiency I lose is made up by the thinner mash and time savings.

sorry to drag up an old post but is there much difference between mash out and sparge vs double batch sparge? Just considering that I would save the 20mins it takes to drain my mash tun if I used a mash out then heat my water for my sparge. I'm using a small MLT to heat my water so I'm heating each volume separately.

You can even go simpler. Just mash with the full volume. You can heat the sparge water while you are mashing. Then vorlauf, drain your mash for half your boil volume. Then add the sparge water for the other half. Vorlauf and drain (no waiting for mythical extra sugar extraction). Takes me 20 min. from end of mash to end of sparge. You get a mash out, because the wort is heated beyond 176 within minutes of that.

I use a 10 gallon Rubbermaid Cooler for Mash tun with a cooper manifold. On brew day I wrap the manifold in a sanitized 5 gallon paint strainer prior to installing it in the mash tun.
I preheat the mash tun with hot water from the HLT (My Brew keggle). Next I get the temperature of my grist. Temp in hand I enter data into Sparge Pal (iPhone) or web:
http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php
Batch size: 5 gallon
Grain Bill: 12 lbs
Boil Time 60 min
Mash Thickness 1.25 qts per pound
Grain Temp: 66 (example)
Target Mash Temp: 154

Mash: 3.8 gallons at 168 degrees
Sparge: 4.7 gallons at 170 degrees

Works for me.....
My current plan is to do Iodine tests on the mash to determine if
one hour is the right amount of time to complete starch conversion.

Back