Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Would you dry hops beer that you missed on gravity (low)? My beer was to be a 1.055 and wound up a 1.044. This should theoretically skew my IBU/SG ratio towards the hops even further. The recipe is around 52 IBU's to begin with. My temporary plan is to cut my dry hopping out to avoid an overwhelming hop feel. I realize that dry hopping doesn't add IBU's but I'm concerned that a big hop aroma alond with 52 IBUs is too much for a session brew.

One brew at a time...

Wait till it's time to dry hop it.
Take a sample and then decide
based on the beers taste and aroma.

Did you have any flavor and aroma additions during the boil? If not, you're basically going to have alot of bitter and little hop flavor and aroma, so I would dry hop. Otherwise, I'd do what dzlater suggested and taste it.

stevo155 said:
Did you have any flavor and aroma additions during the boil? If not, you're basically going to have alot of bitter and little hop flavor and aroma, so I would dry hop. Otherwise, I'd do what dzlater suggested and taste it.

I had a 15 minute Amarillo addition and a 2 minute Citra addition.

One brew at a time...

What was the recipe and what are you expecting for your FG?

I'd say hop it up, but I'm a big fan of hoppy beers.

Slowfro said:
What was the recipe and what are you expecting for your FG?

I'd say hop it up, but I'm a big fan of hoppy beers.

6.23 lb Pale 2 Row
4.15 lb Pilsner
1.41 lb Munich 10
0.45 lb Victory
0.45 lb Golden Naked Oats

.82 oz Amarillo 60 min
.90 oz Amarillo 15 min
.82 oz Citra 2 min

The plan was to dry hop with 1 oz Citra for 3 days. Intended gravity was 1.056, I hit 1.044.

1.014 is the target FG

It is a beautifully colored beer!

One brew at a time...

What were the AA% of the hops?

Without running it through a calculator I still think you'll be just fine dry hopping. I don't think you'll be overwhelmed with the aroma.

Again, it's all about personal tastes but if that were my beer I'd hit it with the dry hop.

Slowfro said:
What were the AA% of the hops?

Without running it through a calculator I still think you'll be just fine dry hopping. I don't think you'll be overwhelmed with the aroma.

Again, it's all about personal tastes but if that were my beer I'd hit it with the dry hop.

Amarillo - 10.3
Citra - 13.4

One brew at a time...

Looks to me like you should be around 57IBU which isn't overkill to me. But like dzlater said once primary is finished take a small sample and see what your senses tell you. If it's not overpowering rack to secondary and dry hop.

Do you have 2 carboys? Split it. Only dry hop 1/2 the batch and see where that gets you.

I dry hopped a pale ale that had an OG of 1.44 and FG of 1.01 and it came out tasting fantastic.. different hops but my calcs put the IBU around mid 50s as well. I say dry hop away and enjoy.

theonetrueruss said:
I dry hopped a pale ale that had an OG of 1.44 and FG of 1.01 and it came out tasting fantastic.. different hops but my calcs put the IBU around mid 50s as well. I say dry hop away and enjoy.

Wow, that's some attenuation! Did you have sone sort of sugar in it or did you feed your yeast crack in your starter?

One brew at a time...

I had the same thing happen on a 10 gallon batch a few months ago. Must have messed up my crush setting.

I dry hopped one keg and withheld on the other.

The non-dry hopped keg was great and very drinkable very quickly. Plenty of hop presence but not intrusive.

The hopped keg was a bit harsh out of the gate...but eventually mellowed and was very nice.

Both beers were great.

So to make a short story long...if you have the patience...dry hopping will get you that special sweet spot of hop nirvana...but you'll need to let the beer sit for a longer period than you might want.

Either way...you won't go wrong.

sorry.. I typed 1.44.. was 1.044.. not so cracked out.. my point was that an OG of 1.044 is not an issue for a delicious dry hop experience

Back