Wine Fridge help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrislehr

Reaction score
I am looking for anyone with some fridge experience. I have an Avanti Wine Fridge that I got for free, broken. The display/lights come on, but the fridge doesnt kick on. I have no idea how to troubleshoot, but am pretty good technically, mechanically and analytically. Anyone have the patience to help me troubleshoot?

if its powering and not kicking on check the compressor for power if its hot check it for freon if its got that and its hot it might be locked up.

Pull the cover on the compressor leads and unplug the connector and small black box. The box is the start device(usually a heavy duty thermistor) and head to the appliance parts store for a replacement. On the small fractional HP compressors they have been using this method for a while and the contact fingers on the thermistor begin to arc and it quietly self destructs. The most common symptom is no compressor run and hot compressor casing as motor is stalled without start winding kick to get things moving.

The starter / capacitor unit comes in a repair replacemrent kit that might of taken a dump on you. I had a 14 month old fridge that sat 11 months an estate sale a freebie that ran. A week later the compressor would run for 3-5 minutes before the pump locked up. Added a auto transformer increased the voltage it ran longer times before the over temp thermal kicked in. Cooled down then spiked it with 230 volts it ran free again. Finally the cause was found three weeks later when it failed a solid pump lockup a bearing was seizing up even with the proper amount of oil in the gas mix. One in a million failure?

Back