Vorlauf is necessary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg388

Reaction score
So I brewed an american wheat, and i figured since it isn't gunna be clear anyway i went ahead and let the sparge go real fast, didn't worry about the grain bed filtering anything, and didn't vorlauf at all. Fast forward to now and it still tastes pretty good, but you can definately tell there's something off. It has a harsh, husky aftertaste with what seems like more than 13.5 IBU's worth of bitterness, but you don't get that extra bitterness until after you swallow. The initial sip tastes just fine.

I'm a chef by trade, so naturally I find myself testing all of the brewing old wive's tales, because when it comes to cooking most of the old wives tales are total false. Let me be the guy say, vorlauf is most definately necessary, along with patient sparging. Prost!

I honestly can't see it being that big of a factor unless you're letting a ton of grains get through. I've accidentally forgotten to vorlauf on one of my beers when I first started AG. It turned out fine, but it only had maybe a handful of grains, if that.

Are you sure it's not your water causing the bitterness and you just haven't noticed it until now because of the styles you brew? That was my case. I had the exact same bitterness you speak of, I switched to RO water with salts/minerals added and I've been good ever since.

Can't say in over 15 years of brewing I've heard of a logical reason. I can't currently think of a reason.

I honestly can't see it being that big of a factor unless you're letting a ton of grains get through. I've accidentally forgotten to vorlauf on one of my beers when I first started AG. It turned out fine, but it only had maybe a handful of grains, if that.
Are you sure it's not your water causing the bitterness and you just haven't noticed it until now because of the styles you brew? That was my case. I had the exact same bitterness you speak of, I switched to RO water with salts/minerals added and I've been good ever since.

+1 on the water. I had been getting that bitterness also, and I narrowed it down to my water. It turns out with the help of some senior members at HBT, my water is more suited for stouts and other dark brews. My bicarbonates were through the roof. This is a recent discovery for me, so I have come to the conclusion that for my lighter brews , I will use distilled water in the future until I can come up with a better solution. Get your water report and check your bicarbonates.

Back