Recipe Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakersbrew

Reaction score
Hello all. I just brewed my second batch - Rocky Raccoons Honey Lager (I added ginger) - and I am looking for suggestions for a third batch. I want to do an ale that is relatively easy and incredibly tasty. Anyone have any suggestions/recipes?

Extract, PM, or AG?

Best beer I've ever brewed was Austin Homebrew's Session Brown Porter. The only tweak I made to the (AG) recipe was to FWH with .5oz of the bittering addition. Porters are pretty forgiving and work well with moderately hard water (which I'm guessing LA has).

Sorry, I guess I should have specified. Since I am relatively new to home brewing I am going to stick to extract and PM recipes. Got any of those? Thanks for the quick reply

Most of us have tons of recipes- what are you wanting to do?

A Belgian pale ale? An American Amber? A stout? An English bitter? An IPA?

If you can narrow down some of your favorite beer styles, we can give you a boat load of recipes and ideas!

I just did an IPA. So I would like to do something a little different. I was thinking either a Kolsch or an Irish Red Ale. What do you guys think?

An Irish red would be good. I just put an AG version on tap. I'd say the extract/PM version would go something like:

5 pounds pale LME

2 pounds pale malt (British, if you can find it)
3 ounces special roast
2 ounces chocolate
2 ounces biscuit malt

Hops:

1 ounce East Kent Goldings (60 minutes)
1 ounces EKG (30 minutes)

Willamette hops would be good for bittering, too.

For yeast, I'd suggest an Irish ale yeast, or for a dry yeast, maybe S04.

This should give you an OG of 1.044, a FG of 1.010-1.012, with IBUs of 21 in a 2.5 gallon boil.

You'd mash the grains together, in a grain bag, for 45 minutes in 4 quarts of 154 degree water. (make the water about 165 degrees, and turn off the heat, and drop in the grain bag, "dunking" it well to thoroughly saturate the grains). Remove the grains, and then hold them over the pot in a colander (still in the bag) and pour 1 gallon of 170 degree water over them to "rinse" the grains. Then, throw away the grains and add water to get to your boil volume. Bring to a boil, and add the extract. Bring to a boil again and set the timer for 60 minutes. Add the first hops, and then with 30 minutes left add the second hops.

I think that would closely approximate the beer I have on tap right now.

Hah, Rocky Racoon's Honey Lager, brings back memories of the old days. Sounds like you are brewing from Charlie P's book. I remember enjoying his simple recipe for Rightous Real Ale. Tasty, and incredibly simple, If I recall, it is like 5 lbs of amber DME and a simple hop schedule. Doesn't get any easier, yet tasty and simple.

this is the caramel cream ale that i was going to try -

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/caramel-cream-ale-2435/

although i would like to use some malt. not AG though. i just like using some malt (i dont know what that is called partial malt?)

wilser - you got me. got that one from Papazians book. he has got some good recipes in there. when i do the irish red ale i am probably going with his.

Back