Help Please --- Can I split the boil---HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
My pot is bot big enough to boil 5 Gals. all in one. Can I split the wort and hops into two and boil in different pots... Then add them both to the ferm bucket?????? Im in the middle of my first batch.. Just built a igloo mash tun... Thanks

Sure, you can do that. What I used to do was put 1/2 my first runnings and then 1/2 my second runnings in each boil pot (you can just run them off into the brewpot, eyeballing it) and then split the hops evenly. I chilled them, and then combined in the fermenter. It worked fine until I got a bigger pot.

If you can divide the wort into approximately equal SGs and divide the hops in the appropriate ratio, then it would be ok. But you want approximately the same gravity in each container, not the first runnings in one pot and the second runnings in a different pot, so that the hops utilization is about equal.

what you are actually doing here is a "parti gyle" type setup. If you had 2 small fermenters (say about 2.5 gal) you could make one high gravity beer and one "small beer" with this setup.

Latest posts

Back