Founders Brewing Company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Founders, in Grand Rapids, MI this holiday season and had a few of their beers.

Abominable Iceman - A spiced Ale. I had no idea what to expect with this, and to be honest, the spices were pretty strong to start with. After a few swallows, I grew more used to it, and really kind of liked it. I'm no good at giving detailed tasting reports, but it's basically a Christmas Ale with more spice flavors than I've had in any others. I think it's worth trying if you can find it. A quick look at their website says that they no longer have it on tap.

Harvest Ale - Yep, a Wet Hop Ale! I missed Sierra Nevada's this year, and really wanted to try it. Bought it in a 4-pack from the cooler at the brewery, and let me tell you it was not cheap! BUT! It is a damn tasty beer! Frankly, I had heard so much about the SN version, that I thought I was setting myself up for a let down, but this beer had so much fresh hops flavor that it may have moved up to the top of my preference list! Too bad it's only available for a limited time...

Backwoods Bastard - Basically it's their Dirty Bastard "Dark ruby in color and brewed with ten varieties of imported malts this beer continuously lives up to its reputation as a bold and powerful ale. Dirty Bastard is complex in the finish with hints of smoke and peat paired with a malty richness, finalized with a good bit of hop attitude." Except that it's been Bourbonized. A very tasty beer for that style, and I probably wouldn't choose it every day, but it's just right for those times where you want a bit of something different. Also a limited edition.

Well, I ended up buying a 4-pack of Harvest and a 4-pack of the Backwoods, and I think I dropped like $23... Youch! Well, it was like a christmas present to myself I guess. Anyway, the beer was well it for the experience.

Founders is awesome. I recently bought a four-pack of the Backwoods Bastard. It's fantastic. Now if I could just get my hands on some Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Their brewpub is a great place too. I wish they were around when I lived in the GR area.

I love Founders brews.

I'll be in GR for the Beerfest next month. I'm hoping to spend the weekend out there and make a "Hopcat/Founders" hop.

The Breakfast Stout is damn tasty, but a little hot at first. Bed it down for a couple months and it rounds out nicely.

The Harvest Ale is really good. Looks like I should give their other beers a try as well. $10 for a 4 pack is a little steep though.

I just picked up a six pack of founders porter & it is very tasty. The breakfast stout is also real good.

Huge fan of Founders! Red's Rye is one of my favorite beers it's a beer that i just don't get tired of drinking. I'm not the biggest fruit beer fan but there Rubaeus is outstanding. I also have a few of there bottles aging: Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Breakfast Stout. I really want/need to try Devil Dancer, it was on tap not to long ago at one of my local pubs but I missed it by a day :( Heard it was pretty killer. Also haven't had the pleasure of having a Kentucky Breakfast yet but hoping to.

I really want/need to try Devil Dancer, it was on tap not to long ago at one of my local pubs but I missed it by a day :(

I just tried this. It was good! But, not what I was expecting. I bought it at a specialty grocery store and I suspect it was a bit old, as some of the other bottles on the shelf definitely were. Because of this, I feel I need to try it again when I know it's fresh.

Impressions/Observations (from memory):
Little head, lightly carbed. Dark amber color. Well balanced, though noticeably malty and the hops were a bit lost. It was very smooth and went down a liitle too easy, even at 13% abv :)

Back