What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled my nut-brown ale, which already tastes delicious. I'm bummed about waiting the requisite priming time, particularly with all this great fall weather. Now, what to put in the carboy next?

Also, sent out inquiry emails to several area orchards about apple variety availability and price, and lined up a cider press for rental. Yay for autumn!

today has been a bussssyyy day... first I siged up two new mebers here on HBT from my homebrew club. Next I started conditioning oak cubes for a sour I'm doing tommorow so, I'm trying to rush ot along by boiling them like 5 times and soaking them in my saison. Next I weighed out and crushed a 20lb grain bill for my weekend marathon brew days starting 7 am tommorow and going until Sunday afternoon !!!!! 4 guys and brew as much as we can and sleep in between batches and take turns making sure we don;t burn my house down.

Emailed a local brewery to see if the recipe I have come up with based on the ingredients they list on their website for one of their seasonal brews (a pineapple heffe) will get me close to what they produce so I can finally make something wifey likes. Hoping they respond, but I will enjoy my creation regardless.

My loving wife went to the brew store for me while I was at work. Tonight got a starter going with some washed US05 for a brew this weekend, and got some oak ships soaking in scotch for a barleywine.

Slept in, sat around the house, drank beer, and read brewing books allll day. It'll be a long while until I get another lazy day like this again...

Bought the grains for the next batch, BCB Haus Pale. Going to use it as a base to use up some of my last years hops. Also went to the machine and bought 15 gallons of RO, Florida tap water tastes just like it is from the pool.

Bottled my blonde for the wedding later in the month and my vanilla pumpkin lager. Also put in the dry hops for KeyWestBrewing's Badfish IIPA. For waking up sick as a dog this morning I'd say that's a pretty productive day.

Made some, but not enough. First 10 gallon batch and my boil was too vigorous. Ended up with about 9 gallons.

Picked up supplies for a Bitter American clone that I'll be brewing tomorrow. Can't get 21st Amendment out here so I gots to do what I gots to do.

Picked up ingredients for my brew day today... But ended up back home picking up stuff for my new place and got out of dinner with my mom late. Too late to brew,.so I'll do it after the pats game tomorrow.

I'm copying recipes, so I can order ingredients for 2 more batches when I get home (Bitburger Pils, and Murphy's Irish Stout). These are also my first 2 all grain brews (BIAB, 5 gallon), so I'm excited about it.

Judged in Southern New England Regional Homebrew Competition (first time judging). My entries didn't take home any awards, but I had a lot of fun judging and learning how to judge. I was very surprised at how close the scores I gave came to my BJCP certified partner's. More often than not our scores came within a few points of each other without any adjustments. I figured I'd be way over scoring entries because I really haven't had much experience with even the more common off flavors. If you had entries in that competition and got crappy scores for categories 9 or 10, you can blame me. :)

thisoneguy said:
I'm just trying to make sure I have Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra for my IPAs and IIPAs in 2013... I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on them before they sold out, so I ordered a bunch.

Where did you find Citra? I thought it was about gone everywhere.

Soaking/scrubbing spigots after making fresh PBW & Starsan. Cleaning bottling bucket again,damn lil flies! Put away some new chit too mang. SS 5qt collander for sparging biab. A mini measure that measures tsp,TBSP,ounces & parts of a ML. Handy lil bugger for measuring PBW & such. Scale needs batteries,so a redundant backup was needed.
Still gotta clean 12+ bottles real quick Generally clean the ol' man cave before the new beer gets done tomorrow.
We also have a small food processor that I'm gunna try crushing the grains in that works real well with nuts,etc. Maybe 1/2C at a time & see how that works. Grain mill $$ gone already for worthless crap like mortgage & food.

Dry hopped a galaxy-centric pale ale with 2 more ounces, kegging it Sunday or Monday. Racked a 2.5 gal batch of American brown ale to 2 mini kegs for consumption around thanksgiving.

Bottled 45 bottles of our wet-hopped harvest IPA and about 48 bottles (plus 4 bombers) of DoubleDach's breakfast stout clone. Boy are these tasty. Let's hope they get better in the bottle.

Changed an o-ring on a leaky dip tube and cleaned up the small puddle of *sniff* wasted beer from my floor and the bottom of the kegerator.

Also switched out the frozen 2 liter from my brew cooler to keep the GF pumpkin ale bubbling away at about 65 degrees

Stayed up until midnight (sat) making my bastardized version of an old ale. The wort tasted like candy! I'm looking forward to this one. Has 2lbs of honey and 1lb of amber belgian candi sugar. Think I used 2.5oz of hops too. Have to look at my notes.

Bottled two batches of pumpkin ale and a batch of brown ale. Kegs are all full so I had to bottle to make sure these are ready when I'll want them. I guess I need to drink more.

Brewed an IPA with crap effieciency and got some pretty bitter wort! we'll see where it goes..

I hear ya on that. I had craptastic efficiency on my last batch and it had a pretty bitter taste as well. Didn't bode well for a pecan brown. Bottled it this past Saturday. Hope it mellows out a bit.

Brewing 3bbl of stout
Tasting CDA and testing a new carbonation technique that may or may not be worth the effort.

Tryint ot get the right temp on my mash water for my 1st PM kit. Will save the premium lager & vodka for when I get it in the fermenter. Feels good to brew again after waitin a couple months to get parts to fix the stove.

Bottled an IPA I made on Labor Day. Very hoppy but it'll mellow out over the next few weeks!! :mug:

Also planned my xmas brew. Going to have to brew it this weekend if I want it ready by Thanksgiving. It'll be cutting it close!

Moved starter from stir plate to fridge to cold crash. Tomorrow liquid gets decanted off and then round two starts on the stir plate.

Swirled my hefe IV starter about 2 dozen times (yes, I know, I need to make a stir plate). Doppelweizenbock, here I come!

Back