Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmastertim

Reaction score
I planted four rhizomes in may. Both of the nugget plants came up but the two perle hop plants never came up. I've read that in the first year they are trying to establish a good root system and not to expect to much from the plant. Should I give up hope or keep throwing water at them in hopes they come back next year?

day_trippr said:
Changing your username isn't going to change the answer to this question you already asked here.

Ha ha yea I had problems with my old account so reset it and started a new thread funny you noticed. So you got any tips for me?

I don't know if there's anything peculiar about Perle plants - I don't grow that strain - but my advise is to consider those two rhizomes ancient history and think about planting much earlier next year. Do a good job prepping the soil, account for good drainage, don't over water, and with any luck you'll end up with healthy plants...

Cheers!

I don't know if there's anything peculiar about Perle plants - I don't grow that strain - but my advise is to consider those two rhizomes ancient history and think about planting much earlier next year. Do a good job prepping the soil, account for good drainage, don't over water, and with any luck you'll end up with healthy plants...

Cheers!

I agree... any rhizome that has been under ground 3 or 4 months is done at this point. Obviously the rhizome didn't have enough energy to survive. Prep for next year and check out greatlakehops.com. They are awesome and for few bucks more you can get "live" plants with a developed root system.

day_trippr said:

Cheers!

Thanks I guess my next question Is how much is to much? And what kind of fertilizer do you suggest?

brewmastertim said:
About what?

About what? Really?
I found it quite amusing that you have two identical threads with different user names.
It's obviously dead.

Stevo2569 said:
About what? Really?
I found it quite amusing that you have two identical threads with different user names.
It's obviously dead.

Btw they are not identical and thanks for the tip

Thanks I guess my next question Is how much is to much? And what kind of fertilizer do you suggest?

The watering depends on how well your soil drains, your local weather conditions, etc, so you have to account for those factors. I set my drip system for one hour every three days, which provides roughly a couple of gallons of water for each crown. If we get a run of wet weather I shut the drip system down until the weather turns dry again.

I don't do a lot of "fertilizing", instead rely on the bedding to provide most of the nutrients for the hops. Lots of horse poop mixed with loam and adjusted with some sand or vermiculite to maintain good drainage will go a long way. When I do feel the urge to fertilize I just use Miracle-Gro.

Last year when the growing season ended and the bines were cut down I dug down about a foot around the edges of the beds and mixed in more bedding material. There was enough good stuff in the beds that I didn't apply any fertilizer until mid-June because all of the plants had grown tall and thick on their own...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
The watering depends on how well your soil drains, your local weather conditions, etc, so you have to account for those factors. I set my drip system for one hour every three days, which provides roughly a couple of gallons of water for each crown. If we get a run of wet weather I shut the drip system down until the weather turns dry again.

I don't do a lot of "fertilizing", instead rely on the bedding to provide most of the nutrients for the hops. Lots of horse poop mixed with loam and adjusted with some sand or vermiculite to maintain good drainage will go a long way. When I do feel the urge to fertilize I just use Miracle-Gro.

Last year when the growing season ended and the bines were cut down I dug down about a foot around the edges of the beds and mixed in more bedding material. There was enough good stuff in the beds that I didn't apply any fertilizer until mid-June because all of the plants had grown tall and thick on their own...

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice it answered all of my questions and will hopefully work out a lot better for me next year.

brewmastertim said:
Thanks for the advice it answered all of my questions and will hopefully work out a lot better for me next year.

Hey what climate zone are you in I'm in a 6a zone so it's dry in the hotter months and cold in the winter

Back