What will come of this rookie move?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase6

Reaction score
So i brewed a lager about a month ago and didn't even think of temp control for a good two weeks. So I figured I would just see what would happen if I let it stay at room temp. Been a month now and it's still very cloudy will this ever settle/ what might it taste like? Should I just toss it?

You'll be ok. Without knowing your recipe, I'm just going to guess that it will probably have some different flavors than you were expecting. You've essentially made a steam beer. It may settle out nicely after a nice 2-3 day cold crash. Never dump a beer, there's always a lesson in each batch.

MyNameIsPaul said:
You'll be ok. Without knowing your recipe, I'm just going to guess that it will probably have some different flavors than you were expecting. You've essentially made a steam beer. It may settle out nicely after a nice 2-3 day cold crash. Never dump a beer, there's always a lesson in each batch.

Exactly, you've got to try the final product to see what truly happened. Then try the same recipe the way it was intended another time. You never know, you may like it better the "wrong" way.

I know the first few sips of Anchor Steam (steam beer) I had didn't get me too excited. Then I found myself craving it every now and then.

Dump a beer because it's cloudy? I could understand dumping from a fermenter if it's got mushrooms growing on top of it or if it's glowing in the dark but cloudy? Really?

Actually if my beer started growing mushrooms or glowing in the dark i think i might be obligated to drink it for the guinea pig in me.

Er, I don't actually have any guinea pigs inside me. I meant that in a purely figurative sense. I swear.

Dump a beer because it's cloudy? I could understand dumping from a fermenter if it's got mushrooms growing on top of it or if it's glowing in the dark but cloudy? Really?

Actually if my beer started growing mushrooms or glowing in the dark i think i might be obligated to drink it for the guinea pig in me.

Er, I don't actually have any guinea pigs inside me. I meant that in a purely figurative sense. I swear.

Maybe, but you do have one in your glass, or is that a hamster?

As long as a hamster didn't crawl into your bunghole, you should be ok. I mean, your beer should be fine

Everyone makes mistakes, rookie or pro. My local home brew store held an all grain brewing class and even the owner (brewing for 30 years) made mistakes. That's the pure fun of home brewing. In the words of Charlie Papazian, "relax, don't worry. Have a home brew!"

I pitched lager yeast at 60 instead of 45-50 once because it started raining and my wort chiller seemed to be taking too long. My beer tasted like I dumped fruity pebbles in it, until I lagered it. Once it was in bottles for a few weeks it tasted fine. The best thing about this hobby is that you can make stupid mistakes, and the results are usually pretty good.

Back