Ice brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
I keep seeing notices about people brewing ice beer like maximum ice and labatte ice and things like that.

How does one ice brew if anyone knows?

I think what you're talking about is a beer that is frozen, some of the water is cut off and then thawed to get more ABV in the beer. I believe this is the way it works, someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D

I think what you're talking about is a beer that is frozen, some of the water is cut off and then thawed to get more ABV in the beer. I believe this is the way it works, someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D

That's about right but on-top of it being illegal along the lines of distillation it is actually more dangerous because all the negatives (like that small bit of methanol) will get concentrated aswell... You have less control over the final product.

I think you are seeing notices about people brewing something like Eisbock, not something like ice stabilized beer (eg Labatte Ice).

If you want to do the later, IIRC you are trying to freeze about 2% of the water in the beer into tiny crystals which requires agitation during the freezing. Compounds that cause beer staling are selectively removed in the ice crystals. This is a method of producing stable beer and nothing else. You will not be able to do this at home successfully and you would be much better off using filtration and fining instead.

You can read more about this in Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix and, I am quite sure, in the trade journals.

There's one other problem with ice brewed beer...

budice.gif

Dooby dooby doo.

wow lol. Okay scratch that thought then :p

thx for the replies all

No one mentioned they all taste like **** too.Correct me if I'm wrong.What ice beers are out there?Labbat,Bud,Molson.Just fermented rice and hop tea.

Back