How long will yeast last that you saved from a previous batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
I am just curious,

If I save the yeast from a batch and refrigerate it, how long will it typically last before I have to either pitch it (trash it) or pitch it (use it)?

It should be good for several weeks, possibly longer I'm sure.

If you want to hold it longer, it might be good to make a starter and "revive" it, then refirdgerate the slurry again. (I'm not sure I'd bother: I'm about to pitch a couple slurries that I have no plans to use anytime soon.)

IMHO, the length of time a yeast will survive depends on the sanitation procedures used.

In the end it all comes down to smell and taste.

It's logical that if you reuse a yeast from week to week that it'll stay viable longer than something you used 6 months ago.

As for store purchased yeast I have used yeast that was expired over 1 year. I just had to make a starter a couple of days sooner, but they worked fine.

Thanks for the input.

I was going to get a small collection of yeast strains going, that way when I brew a belgian dubbel then I can use the proper yeast from a previous batch... so i'm not forced to use the same yeast in every batch.

Back