Gin and Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailstock

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has messed around with soaking oak cubes or chips in Gin?
I have had a couple examples of beer that have had gin oak like Upright and DeGarde and I love it. Anyways I was wondering how much oak would be enough for a 5 gallon batch? Enough for a subtle background character to and IPA or Saison. And would it be best for it in secondary or use it primary fermentation?

Definitely use it once your FG is stable. No need to rack to secondary if that's what you're asking, just toss em in the primary vessel. Unless you need the carboy space.
I have no idea how much to use but you can always take a beer, add an amount to your glass, and take notes on how much gin you added to your 12 oz beer. Then scale up to 5 gallons and that should give you a place to start.

This gives me an idea to use Rogue juniper gin in a juniper berry oaked pale ale. :)

Well I guess this also works for the general question of how much oak to use vs. amount of time?
I'm going to use 1oz of oak for my first batch in either my 100% Brett IPA or my American farmhouse that I plan on brewing. Not sure which one I'm going to do first.

Back