Honey and sorghum lme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I am going to make another ale using honey. I want to do a Belgian Blonde /Amber style with orange and coriander and add honey just for kicks. Any honey suggestions? Also since I put in sorghum at flameout, would I put honey in at that point as well or somewhere else during the boil?

Well, whichever honey you do choose, if you want the flavour from it you should add it at flame out. However, if you are just after it for body, then you can add it whenever you like.

I'm really into Belgian blondes right now. What types of honey might I try if I wanted to take the blonde in a different direction?

Honestly, dude, that depends on what you are after. What flavours do you want from it? Have a look in all the sections and see what others are using and what grabs your eyes.

I would assume if you are going for an orangy citrusy blonde I would get my hands on some orange blossom honey... I usually add half my extracts at begining of boil and half at end, last 5 min... after playing with my cream ale this spring I would reccomend an appropriatly citrusy hop like cascade, citra or el dorado...considee a week or two in secondary with corriander and or sweet orange zest... I would also be tempted to prime with some more of the orange blossom honey...

Now you have me excited to try a 3gal batch for SWMBO...

Stopped at a shop today and they were using coconut sugar... one of them said it imparts a kind of tropical fruit essence... thought that might add well to this brew as well... I also picked up some tapioca syrup at another shop I may sub some sorghum out for...

Coconut sugar is cool. I've used it in a few brews and it can impart a butterscotch-like flavor. If you throw in some chamomile, you can get a really interesting tropical flavor--chamomile adds a coconutty-marshmallow-like flavor with a hint of hay. Hit it with some T-58 yeast and you'll have a very interesting beer on your hands.

Back