How long can juice pails sit safely before goin bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I just found out my juice pails will be delivered and I have no way to get to them at the moment, my friend said he'll pick them up for me but I won't see him for a couple of days (Juice pails were frozen but might be somewhat thawed by delivery on Wednesday, and I won't be able to get them until Sunday). The weather will be low 60's during the day and 40's at night. What's the safest way to keep the juice without it going bad? Should I give a healthy dose of K-meta and hope for the best? The vendor said the buckets aren't big enough to ferment the entire batch in so I'm kind of worried about fermentation starting. Could I wrap a garbage bag around them and throw a bag of ice or two on top, the guy doesn't have a spare tub to throw them in or I would suggest that.
I guess these are the kind of problems that pop up with a fresher product compared to frozen fruit and wine kits.:confused:

Any ideas?

How large are the buckets, how many, and how expensive is your shipment? Might be worth the $ to buy one of the large, deep Rubbermaid storage bins (not the cheap clear ones, but the thicker sided gray ones similar to their large 30gal trash cans). Load that thing up w/ the buckets and a bunch of ice.

How large are the buckets, how many, and how expensive is your shipment? Might be worth the $ to buy one of the large, deep Rubbermaid storage bins (not the cheap clear ones, but the thicker sided gray ones similar to their large 30gal trash cans). Load that thing up w/ the buckets and a bunch of ice.

Well, the order was 4 pails, and I think each one is 6 gal, so maybe the size of a fermenting bucket. So I need something that would fit 4 pails, that's a good idea with the rubbermaid bin, I think that might just be the ticket. As long as I keep them cold, nothing should erupt right?

Brewkowski said:
Well, the order was 4 pails, and I think each one is 6 gal, so maybe the size of a fermenting bucket. So I need something that would fit 4 pails, that's a good idea with the rubbermaid bin, I think that might just be the ticket. As long as I keep them cold, nothing should erupt right?

It took two days for my refrigerated pails at 50F to reach 70F. So I think if you keep them 50F or below, it will keep yeast at bay. Have your friend let them warm up a day so by the time you get them, you'll be ready to pitch yeast!

Stopped by Menards and got two 30 gal tote bins that are 29" x 16", hopefully that will fit two buckets in each, and the two of them fit in the back seat of the guys car, so I think I'm good. I measured my 6.5 gal bucket and it's 12 inch diameter and 19" high. So have him throw a couple of bags of ice in the bins and then mange the ice level by making sure there is always some ice or that the bath water is like 40-45 degrees or so? Then Sunday I'll have him pull them out of the ice and drain the bins before bringing them up, and that should give them some time to warm up to a pitchable temperature?

Latest posts

Back