Possible carbonation problem with little yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed a hobgoblin clone a little over a week ago using wlp005 british ale yeast.
4 days into fermentation, I took a gravity reading of 1.014 down from 1.054.
I transfered to a secondary then bottled after a further 3 days [ 1 week in total ].
My beer seemed crystal cleer and I worried about carbonation not happening.
I usually bottle very murky looking beer from suspended yeast , so with this looking so clear I worried. 2 days in the bottle so far and no sediment at bottom of bottles.
Should I worry that there maybe no yeast to carbonate?

Cheers

Matt

I get the whole be patient thing, like I said I have just never seen such a clear beer after one week, it honestly is as clear as water.
Usually after 4 weeks I bottle very yeasty beer but 1 week and its this clear?
Upside is I will get that little moor beer in my glass lol

There's still billions of yeast in there to do the job, even if someone cold crashes, there's STILL plenty of yeast to do the job. All you gotta do is relax, and give the beer the time it needs.

Plus, if there's not enough in there, they'll clone themselves til they have what they need. Pretty cool, huh.

Clone themselves?
Cool I never thought of that, I spose thats what they do at the start of fermentation.
By the way, I tasted a sample at bkttling time and its turned out just like the real hobgoblin.
Cant wait till its ready and take it to the brewery and have them compare it, as I only live about a mile away from it.

Cheers

Clone themselves?
Cool I never thought of that, I spose thats what they do at the start of fermentation.
By the way, I tasted a sample at bkttling time and its turned out just like the real hobgoblin.
Cant wait till its ready and take it to the brewery and have them compare it, as I only live about a mile away from it.

Cheers

Like real hobgoblin? I would love to see that recipe if it's that good!

Yes just like real hobgoblin.
I tried orfys clone and it was so close just in my own opinion it missed something. I tried several yeasts and have now found that wlp005 seems to get the result.
I can post if anybody wants it?

Cheers

I tried orfys clone and it was so close just in my own opinion it missed something. I tried several yeasts and have now found that wlp005 seems to get the result.

Cheers

yes please!
(im sure i could do a search but, horses mouth and such...)

Cheers

Is this a trick question?

Why would it be a trick question? I will post in recipe database shortly.

Cheers

nice one, mate:mug:

What were the fermentation temps?

Definitely want to give this a bash sometime soon.

Fermentation was constantly 69f.
It really is a lovely beer plus with the wlp005 it floculates very quick, hence my initial post about carbonation, bit the result is a very clear beer with very little yeast.

Thanks for that. Will try a batch as Wychwood's brews are some of the, pretty limited, selection of beers from Blighty we can get over here and Hobgoblin is one of my faves.:rockin:
:mug:

I love wychwood brews and it a bonus to live so close to them.
Bottled goblin though is not a good as draught, but its still good.
Try king goblin if u can find it, its a stronger, richer hobgoblin.

I love wychwood brews and it a bonus to live so close to them.
Bottled goblin though is not a good as draught, but its still good.
Try king goblin if u can find it, its a stronger, richer hobgoblin.

I love wychwood brews and living so close to then is a bonus.
Bottled hobgoblin really does the brew no justice compared to draught.
Low priming is the key to this recipe for that authentic hobgoblin smoothness.
I will post a pic of it in a clear bottle so u can see it.

Cheers

thanks for posting the recipe, i will defo have a go at this!
just one thing, Styrian Goldings are apparently one of or a blend of three different hops, as per>TheMaltMiller
wierd huh! i wonder what is used in hobgoblin?

yeah, we only get the bottled stuff here. Scarecrow, Wychcraft, Hobgoblin, Fiddler's elbow? And I've had a few bottles of a Christmas ale a while back. haven't seen the King Goblin. You'll need to conjure up a recipe of it for me;):fro::mug:

Wonder if I could get away with using Fuggles and Kent Goldings for flavour/aroma and a small amount of Nugget for bittering. Not sure if I can get Styrian Goldings here at the moment.:eek:

thanks for posting the recipe, i will defo have a go at this!
just one thing, Styrian Goldings are apparently one of or a blend of three different hops, as per>TheMaltMiller
wierd huh! i wonder what is used in hobgoblin?

According to a podcast I heard a while back, with jeff drew, the headbrewer at wychwoods, he says they use cascade in hobgoblin.
I think he says this to throw people off the scent because on the brewery tour I had they say they use cascade in some of their brews, but went on to say that not in hobgoblin.
I used what they say on the bottle, and in my opinion it has come out exactly like yhe real deal.
I can recoment using the malt miller as I got loads of ingredient from their, and they have a huge selection of hops, grain and yeast.

yeah, we only get the bottled stuff here. Scarecrow, Wychcraft, Hobgoblin, Fiddler's elbow? And I've had a few bottles of a Christmas ale a while back. haven't seen the King Goblin. You'll need to conjure up a recipe of it for me;):fro::mug:

Wonder if I could get away with using Fuggles and Kent Goldings for flavour/aroma and a small amount of Nugget for bittering. Not sure if I can get Styrian Goldings here at the moment.:eek:

I would say to, stick to the recipe but sub the styrian's for ekg only not adjusting amount, times or using nugget.
If it doesnt turn out then try to source styrians.
I love scarecrow to and may have a go at making this at some point.
the king goblin is almost the same as hobgoblin just a bit stronger at 6.7% I believe.
Is more of a darker bitter as it seems to be more highly hopped.

Back