Cleaning glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejmboston

Reaction score
K I'm new to the game, so I'm having an issue cleaning the carboy out fully. I've bought the carboy wand that hooks up to the sink, I've tried the water jet attachment on a faucet, I've tried the good ole wire bush....but I just can't seem to the the bottom spot less. Any idea's or tricks ?

Getting the bottom of the carboy spotless is a difficult, because the water pressure from the jet dissipates quite a bit by the time it reaches the bottom of carboy.
Have you tried soaking the carboy in water with a little dish soap? It'll help loosen up the crusties. Then scrub a bit with the brush and blast it with the water jet, giving it a really good rinse. Works like a charm for me...

Edit (Feb 9, 2013): I have become a faithful user of PBW. Let it soak for a while (or overnight), rinse well, and voilà -- the carboy is crystal clear.

Overnight soak with some OxyClean should loosen up just about anything. Just make sure you give it a couple really good rinses afterwards.

mragin said:
Overnight soak with some OxyClean should loosen up just about anything. Just make sure you give it a couple really good rinses afterwards.

You can use OxyClean?.

lloydhudson said:
I use oxyclean almost exclusively. Less expensive (in the quantities that I use) than PBW or Onestep. Just rinse well. dot not soak bottles too long.

What would be too long ? Hours , days , weeks ?

Carboy brush, some nice hot water, a lot of swirling. Clean it as soon as you rack off the cake. The bottom usually comes clean easy, its the neck that's a pita, especially after a very active fermentation.

I dump two tablespoons of Oxyclean Free into my 6.5g carboys, fill to the brim with medium hot water (<= I start with room temp water and bring the temperature up slowly) and let it sit for a couple/few hours.

Even the crustiest, triple-chocolate-imperial-honey-stout leavings all end up on the bottom, and with a thorough rinse they're left clean as a whistle. No brushing required.

Avoid leaving Oxyclean in vessels for longer than needed as you can end up with a white haze that will require rinsing with a weak acid to remove...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
I dump two tablespoons of Oxyclean Free into my 6.5g carboys, fill to the brim with medium hot water (<= I start with room temp water and bring the temperature up slowly) and let it sit for a couple/few hours.

Even the crustiest, triple-chocolate-imperial-honey-stout leavings all end up on the bottom, and with a thorough rinse they're left clean as a whistle. No brushing required.

Avoid leaving Oxyclean in vessels for longer than needed as you can end up with a white haze that will require rinsing with a weak acid to remove...

Cheers!

Great thanks ill give it a shot this weekend

Oxyclean and PBW are the most widely used cleaners in the community.

It seems that some peoples water chemistry makes Oxyclean leave a slick film residue that is hard to rinse off. Others, including myself, do not seem to have this problem.

I use Better Bottles and put in about half a scoop then fill with hot water. I have left it for as much as 3 days. Usually overnight is plenty. I dump out the water, rinse, insert a washcloth and about 1/2 a gallon of hot water, swirl, rinse well and done.

kh54s10 said:
Oxyclean and PBW are the most widely used cleaners in the community.

It seems that some peoples water chemistry makes Oxyclean leave a slick film residue that is hard to rinse off. Others, including myself, do not seem to have this problem.

I use Better Bottles and put in about half a scoop then fill with hot water. I have left it for as much as 3 days. Usually overnight is plenty. I dump out the water, rinse, insert a washcloth and about 1/2 a gallon of hot water, swirl, rinse well and done.

Insert a washcloth ? How the frig do u get it out through the neck of the bottle ?

Where I get the "film" is on beer bottles. If I leave them in a tub of Oxyclean more than a few hours I end up having to scrub the "residue" off. do not know why, so I just soak them for an hour or so then hose them thoroughly. Do not seem to have that issue with carboys. Another question for our science community. LOL

Insert a washcloth ? How the frig do u get it out through the neck of the bottle ?

I think a washcloth would be okay in Better Bottles because the neck is so much wider than in glass carboys. Just got my first set of BBs this week, so I'll try it out and let you know if I have to cut them open :fro:

mragin said:
I think a washcloth would be okay in Better Bottles because the neck is so much wider than in glass carboys. Just got my first set of BBs this week, so I'll try it out and let you know if I have to cut them open :fro:

Lol ill be waiting

Latest posts

Back