final gravity high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I'm brewing a double bastard clone and my fg is high. My og was 1.109 and the fg is 1.040. I was shooting for about 1.030. Is being this high ok to transfer to secondary?
Thanks for the input

Has it been stable over a couple of days? If so, then that's likely as low as it will get. What you have right now puts you just over 9% ABV

How long has it been in primary? That's alot of sugars for it to chew on. If its only been a week or less, I'd leave it alone for a few more weeks. It takes big beers longer to finish because the yeast either get tired or hit their alcohol tolerance level.

I'd let it do it's thing for longer. I'm a lazy brewer and leave mine for a month. My last one ate 70 points of gravity in a week and landed another 5 points lower 4 weeks later.

+1 to leaving it alone. Doing a secondary will only strip away a ton of yeast that can finish the work for you if you give them time.

Yes, give it another week minimum, two if you can since it is a bigger beer. Take a reading, then couple days later take another, if it's the same you are good to go. Either way the extra time will help the yeast clean up after themselves and will clear up your beer and give it a crisper flavor

Back