cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
i am new to kegging, but a guy around the area has 40 kegs for sale. 20 bucks a piece I am going to pick up a couple because I know I want to get into kegging sometime.
My question is what is the difference in corny kegs, isnt there like ball lock ones and pin lock ones or something like that?

Is there one better than the other or is it just a preference thing?
Any other info on cornies would be appreciated

Yes, there are ball lock and pin lock. Ball lock are a bit more readily available. Pin lock can be a little more difficult to use due to the pins, granted I only have ball lock (and just got them) so I'm going off what I've heard from others. When you buy your cornies just try to get all the same kind so you don't need multiple hook ups.

homebrewer_99 said:
It'll take you another $16 EACH to recondition with new parts.

Other than the ~$3.00 in O-rings what would need to be replaced, that is if the posts and lid are fine.

TheFlyingBeer said:
Other than the ~$3.00 in O-rings what would need to be replaced, that is if the posts and lid are fine.

I replaced the o-rings (3.95), poppets (5.00), and pressure relief valves (9.95)...OK, about $19. more each keg. :D

That's 300 for the kegs, 80 for the gas and 475 just to recondition...that's $855, then there's the tanks (100), regulators (120), fridge (180), tower (105), taps (95).

So, I've spent about $1455.00 just to convert to kegs from bottles. I haven't given up on bottles. I still have 23 cases of 0,5 liter ones

homebrewer_99 said:
I replaced the o-rings (3.95), poppets (5.00), and pressure relief valves (9.95)...OK, about $19. more each keg. :D

That's 300 for the kegs, 80 for the gas and 475 just to recondition...that's $855, then there's the tanks (100), regulators (120), fridge (180), tower (105), taps (95).

So, I've spent about $1455.00 just to convert to kegs from bottles. I haven't given up on bottles. I still have 23 cases of 0,5 liter ones

Wow - I've been lucky so far. None of the kegs I have needed new poppits or pressure relief valves. That's $14.95 a keg right there - ouch.

homebrewer_99 said:

I hope you know, you'll need a bigger fridge than you can buy for 180 to handle 40 kegs. Also, at $40/tap, that's another $1600. Wow, you're well over 3 grand :D :D

But, the good news, is you have 40 kegs on tap.

TheFlyingBeer said:

You have the advantage of seeing and inspecting the kegs and maybe getting the pick of the litter...that's good.

Do you know if he has them pressurized?

I've never spent more than the $1.95 for a large O-ring on my un-reconditioned kegs. I've never had poppets be an issue...nor the relief valve. I get the small o-rings for the posts and dip tubes at Lowe's.

These are not computer components you're buying. Stainless steel containers with some very basic fittings.

One word...how ever many you think you want to buy??? Double it. Trust me on this one. :D

BierMuncher said:
You have the advantage of seeing and inspecting the kegs and maybe getting the pick of the litter...that's good.

Do you know if he has them pressurized?

I've never spent more than the $1.95 for a large O-ring on my un-reconditioned kegs. I've never had poppets be an issue...nor the relief valve. I get the small o-rings for the posts and dip tubes at Lowe's.

These are not computer components you're buying. Stainless steel containers with some very basic fittings.

One word...how ever many you think you want to buy??? Double it. Trust me on this one. :D

i can check on the pressurized, why would you want them pressurized anyways? i am new to this

mot said:
i can check on the pressurized, why would you want them pressurized anyways? i am new to this
If they're pressurized now, it proves that they hold pressure.
Nothing more dissapointing than cranking in 20PSI to a new keg and having it leak out. That is not very likely if you've seen the kegs and there are no dents around the lid and the poppets appear tight...but moveable.

Whatever you do, get yourself a tube of keg lube (it's like food grade vasoline). It will make 90% of your problems go away by giving you a nice seal.

I've worked with a hydraulic systems (still do) and know first hand about lubing o-rings, etc.

It makes all the difference for good seals.

I switched everything out that had rubber on it so I would not have anything to worry about and I would know they'll work.:D

i emailed him about the rings and valves and such waiting hear back to see if they need to be reconditioned.
If they are in good shape is 20 bucks still a high price?

They are all ball lock he just said, and assured me that they hold pressure.
He said maybe a couple bucks just to replace the o-rings.

so is 20 bucks a good deal on each keg or is it a little high, I have never seen them that cheap but havent searched much on them

TheFlyingBeer said:
How did you find the seller? And where in MN is he, if you don't mind sharing.

from the mailing list on st paul homebrew club.

do you want his email address? I will see if it is cool if If I give it to you

mot said:
They are all ball lock he just said, and assured me that they hold pressure.
He said maybe a couple bucks just to replace the o-rings.

so is 20 bucks a good deal on each keg or is it a little high, I have never seen them that cheap but havent searched much on them
After shipping, mine are about $23 apiece. I'd say buy them and move on.

Again, though...buy twice as many as you think you will need. Just ask around...you never have enough cornies.

Latest posts

Back