Houston Beer Stops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChemEMc

Reaction score
So, on a couples days notice I'm going to Houston for the NCAA final four. I'm going to have some time to kill, what good beer and good beer places are in Houston? Breweries/brewpubs?

I'm from the east coast, what beer might I be able to get in Houston I can't in Virginia?

Bottle Shop - Spec's in Downtown [Angels sing as their doors open]

Brewery - St. Arnolds - Loved it. Get a bigger glass and a pint coozy and your set! My favorite brewery to date.

Sadly, we don't have brewpubs in the city. At a time when craft brewing is booming, I'm amazed someone hasn't cashed in.

Brewery wise, Saint Arnold as mentioned - and if you have the means, Southern Star is a trip up to Conroe, but they're great.

Bottles - yep, Spec's in Midtown is where it's at. Great selection of various brews.

Beer bars - Flying Saucer at Capitol and Main has the most taps, but Petrol Station has the best selection and great food too. Beaver's is also a great place.

Here's a link to an interactive Beer map of the city. Enjoy your time here.

awesome thanks. Are all specs created equal or is there a best location to hit?

Midtown Specs is where it's at. Some are pretty small, but that's the largest and has the best selection.

Liberty Station on Washington Ave. Their motto is "no crap on tap."

In the Garden Oaks/Oak Forest area (north side of 610) - Petrol Station is tucked away in a little neighborhood - great tap list and good burgers. Also check out Plonk!, it's a wine/beer bar and they have really tasty wood-fired pizzas.

If you're in the Rice Village area (just a little north of where the games are and home to Rice University) go to Ginger Man, they've got a solid selection of craft brews.

A little bit further to the east and closer to downtown is the Montrose area - try Anvil, they have a good selection but a lot of hipsters go there and the service is lousy.

Avoid Flying Saucer downtown like the plague - it's tacky and half of the 100+ taps are BMC or simlar low-quality junk.

Petrol Station is a cool spot as is Cedar Creek Cafe if you are in the need for a naughty burger and some patio love.

St Arnolds is amazing. If you could be so lucky, Divine Reserve 11 was released this week but chances are it is gone everywhere by now.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Didn't make it to St Arnolds. We found out to late they are only open 3-4 with one tour at 3:30... Specs was pretty nice though, but not much a couldn't get back in Richmond.

Based on this thread, went to Liberty Station last night. Fantastic place. Not in Houston often, but when I am, I'll be back.

Latest posts

Back